Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

I'd like some information on Microsoft TechNet

• Please log in to reply

saraveza408

saraveza408

• PipPipPip
  • 376 posts
My uncle recently passed away & while cleaning out his estate I ran across about 148 Microsoft disks. Some of them are Microsoft TechNet from the years 2000 to 2006. Some are Microsoft Licensing from the years 2002 to 2004. And some of the Microsoft Licensing disks are server applications in Japanese & German. They are in nice carrying cases & they are all in excellent condition.
Ive tried to do some research on what these disks are and what they are worth & Ive found very little.Plus Im not too computer savvy so the descriptions I read on these didn't make much sense to me.
Also I see that these disks might be worth some serious money. And I was planning on selling them on Craigslist or Ebay.
Can anyone please tell me what these disks are for, their worth & would these disks be something people would want to buy even though they are outdated?

Please & Thank You!

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
the disks are actually NOT worth anything legally. a Microsoft TechNet subscription allows you to get early releases and trial software from MS for your personal or business use as long as you're a tech net member...transferring or selling any of these disks and the software associated with them is actually illegal per the technet license agreement

saraveza408

saraveza408

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 376 posts
So would it be a good idea if I hung onto these? Perhaps I may need them for something?
I didnt really want to go through the bother of trying to sell these because I know nothing about them & wouldnt be able to tell a buyer anything about them. Plus I had a feeling something like these disks were not legal for resale.
Would these disks make a computer "nerd" happy? I have some friends who are really into computers,maybe I will gift the disks to them.

Well Thanks! I appreciate the quick reply & honest help!

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
ownership of the disks is technically not transferable.. and the recipient would need to have a tech net subscription to get the license keys for the software anyway

saraveza408

saraveza408

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 376 posts
so these disks are basically useless unless I was going to use them as Frisbees huh? LOL!

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
or really big jewlery

xblindx

xblindx

• PipPipPip
  • 132 posts

or really big jewlery

:)

Blarm

Blarm

• PipPip
  • 90 posts
If you grow your own vegatables, then hang some of them from a stick and some string.
As they spin around in the wind they scare the birds away.