Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

windows freezes at load screen with cd or hdd boot

• Please log in to reply

kaynine1984

kaynine1984

• Pip
  • 1 posts
so i have been working on a computer for a friend and i have run into a problem i cannot fix.

the computer is...
Toshiba Satellite a205-s4577
its kind of old, dusty from iraq, but nothing else apparently wrong with it.

what i have done:
1. tried to boot in safe mode: no-go
2. tried removing the harddrive and placing it in an enclosure: drive installs and spins but no access to the files.
3. since it seemed to be a drive issue after that i tried reinstalling windows and formatting: no-go windows will not boot from cd either. windows vista home premium cd that came with it is not working, or a backup copy of windows vista ultimate.
4. replaced hdd with WD 500gb scorpio blue
5. tried to boot from cd: no-go same freeze after it copies/loads all teh files from the cd.
6. removed 1 stick of ram: nothing
7. removed the other stick of ram: no-go
8. replaced ram and removed battery for 15 mins: no-go
9. reset bios to defaults: nothing

please help? i have no more ideas.

thank you,
SPC whitatronics

Advertisements

Spyderturbo007

Spyderturbo007

• PipPipPip
  • 760 posts
It sounds like RAM problem to me, but I've never seen a PC where both sticks are bad, but that doesn't mean it can't happen.

Can you go here and follow the instructions to burn a copy of the UBCD and run the memory diagnostics? At least that will eliminate one possibility.