Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PC on, monitor wasn't.... now computer turns on for second then st

• Please log in to reply

Raspo

Raspo

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi,

Last night I came home and I guess there was a power surge according to my mom. I left my computer on cause that's what I do usually to avoid slow startups. Anyways, I got home and my PC was on but the monitor was not, it would go from amber to green then back to amber. I've tried installing another monitor and it also said "no signal". Now tonight the PC is not even turning on, I tried using a substitute power supply and a green light indicates it turns on but it powers for a second (fans spin) and then they mmediately turn off and the power supply acts as if it shorts out. Any ideas??

Advertisements

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
I'm willing to bet your computer was fried during the power surge... it doesn't sound good.

If you wish to trouble shoot, do this:

You admit you tried another monitor and you still get the same results. You've tried another power supply and the same problem exists. Try using a cheap video card, any video card PCI or AGP. If you still get the same results that only leaves your RAM, Motherboard,and Processor. If you are still have no luck you can try only one stick of RAM or a different working set of RAM. Still no go? Motherboard is most likely fried.

After saying all of that, if I had to guess, the motherboard is shot due to the power surge, possibly along with one or more components in the computer.

P.S. The hard drive is irrelevant here, if the PC is just shutting down after a second or two, then it has even had a chance to try to boot to the hard drive yet. I've seen hard drives cause "hanging" problems at start up, but never shutting the PC back down. If you think that could be it, unplug the data cable and power cable before doing the above trouble shooting... just try to get some sort of video to stay on... thats the only objective... even if it's just words like "no boot device available".

Hope that helps, and let me know if you have any questions... it's always hard to be the bearer of bad news, but it doesn't look good for you in my opinion.