Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cannot start my computer

• Please log in to reply

DevilDen

DevilDen

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Hello. Today when i turened on my coputer i realised the i was late for the bus so i had to turn it of while it was still loading. When i came back home i was not able to start up windows. >.<
It starts up and i get a screen telling me that last time i have turned it off unsafely and asks me if want to turn it on in safe mode or normal mode. Now, if i chose the normal mode a Windows start up screen appears (as usual) but the, after a few moments it reboots! (just before the "welcome screen").... if i chose the safe mode i get a list of files, after a few moments it also reboots!! what should i do??

PS: i've also noticed that at the very beginning, when i turn on my computer i get a message (it disapears really fast so i wasn't able to read what it said exactly) saying:

Please wait for IDE scan:
Driver 0: Not Detected
Driver 1: Not Detected
Driver 2: Not Detected
Driver 3: Not Detected

I never got this message before... ;)

So.. i would really apreciate your help guys :tazz:

Hope to hear from you soon ;)

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Driver, or Drive?

What can you tell us about this PC? Does it have SATA or SCSI drives as boot drives (that would explain that message at the end)

Reboot, tapping f8, hopefully you will get a menu and choose LAST KNOWN GOOD CONFIGURATION.

DevilDen

DevilDen

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Oh sorry. The message sais Drive instead of Driver.

PS: i also got the "Last known good Configuration" on the screen with the Normal mode and the Safe Mod but it also didn't work >.< (i've tried all of them)

Oh and.. i don't really know if i have a SATA or a SCSI drives :tazz: is there any way i could check it (if you need it)

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
you probably do have a sata or scsi drive, since you would not get teh windows splash screen with no drives

What the make and model of this machine?

It sounds like a corrupt registry which is an ugly and not always possible to fix issue.

This is the process here:

http://support.micro...om/?kbid=307545

DevilDen

DevilDen

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
... :tazz:

I bought this computer in October last year. I custom built it (with help of my friend) well... umm. what do you mean by the "make"? The mother board is from Asus. The video card is from Radeon (one of the newset) but i don't think i has something to do with it.. umm. Windows XP profesional. And the actual "box" is from Thermaltake. i hope this helps >.<

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
actually if you know the model of the motherboard we could at least check if it is SATA (I think it is).

But, that is less important than the corrupt registry.

Do you have a windows cd?

DevilDen

DevilDen

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
nop :/

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Well, you need one.

The first thing you want to try is a repair, then if that fails, a registry corruption fix as outlined above (in link).

If that fails, a reinstall or variation.

You can do the corrupt registry fix with this:

http://www.tweakxp.c...icle153115.aspx

but the rest of it requires a xp cd.

DevilDen

DevilDen

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
thx. i'l try that