Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Downloads Do you want to open?

• Please log in to reply

Jose1990

Jose1990

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi there

My computer has recently been massively slowed up (cpu usuage) and everytime i wish to download a file/program everytime it asks me

Do you want to open this file?

Options

Open or Cancel

Then if i click Open it asks me to "Choose a program you want to use to open this file?" Coming up with the standard list of my computer programs e.g. Firefox, Adobe reader etc.....

I suspect the problem is spyware of some description but i have no idea how to deal with it. I use ZoneAlarms Extreme Security 8.0.400.020 and keep this regularly updated. I tryed to scan my computer but it crashed onto a blue screen then turned itself off!

This is very frustrating and would really appreciate some help or advice!

Many Thanks

Jose

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
Hi Jose1990 ... :) ..:)

Please go to Malware and Spyware Cleaning Guide...
HERE....

That will help you clean up 80 percent of all problems by yourself. If at the end of the process you are still having difficulty (and you may not be) follow the instructions and start a new topic
here
post the OTListIt2 and Rooter logs ...
The "Topic Title" should contain the name of the infection that you are having a problem with...Use the "Topic Description" to include more details. This will help you get faster responses as some people are more familiar with certain infections....

if you are unable to download or run ANY of the tools...try downloading them on another computer and put them on a flash drive or cd and try installing them that way..
no joy...
start a new topic and let them know you can't run any of the tools..

Jose1990

Jose1990

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thanks

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
your welcome...and if your still having problems after your done with the malware pros come back to this thread and tell us whats happening...

Jose1990

Jose1990

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Sorry, I am having issues that when i try and save one of the above programs on the list to clean up spyware etc..... If i run the program it will ask me to choose a program to load it in. So I cant get anywhere with sorting anything out!

PLEASE HELP

Thanks
Jose

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
go here start a new topic and tell them that you are unable to run any of the tools...