Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

DVD/CD-ROM drive not working

• Please log in to reply

acmatters

acmatters

• PipPip
  • 76 posts
Tried to install some new software, and it wasn't recognizing anything in the drive. The status in Device Manager Properties gives this message: "This drive cannot start (Code 10)" Does Code 10 mean anything to anyone here? My husband unplugged both inputs to the back of the disk drive and plugged it back in, then restarted it, and still nothing. The green light comes on and it tries to work, so it's getting power.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Advertisements

NinjaRaccoon

NinjaRaccoon

• PipPip
  • 68 posts
Hi,

When you open your My Computer screen, does the DVD/CDRom drive show up there? Or does it only show your hard drive?

acmatters

acmatters

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts
Yes, it does show up there.

NinjaRaccoon

NinjaRaccoon

• PipPip
  • 68 posts
Ok, if the drive is showing up on the My Computer screen, then it's probably not what I was thinking at first.

Can I get some more information from you?

I assume this is an internal drive, right?

Which version of Windows are you using?
(If your not sure, open the Control Panel and look for "System". You may have to click on something like "Switch to Classic View" at the top if you don't see it. Once you open that it will show which version of Windows and which Service Pack you have installed.)

What is the brand and model of your computer?
(For example: HP Pavillion s5320f. This is usually stamped on the front of the computer, as well as possibly on the information stickers on the side.)

Also when was the last time that you know the drive was working fine?

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
go here for the lowdown on error Code 10...
you need to update the driver

acmatters

acmatters

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts
Thanks for helping me, Ninja. Here's the system scoop:

Windows Vista Home Premium
HP Model SR5310F
Intel Pentium Dual CPU E2140 @ 1.60 GHz
RAM - 1015 MB
32-bit operating system

I don't recall the last time the CD-ROM drive was used successfully. I don't use it often. Maybe 6 months ago? I've had this system about 2 years, I think.

acmatters

acmatters

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts
Thanks for your input, happyrock. I followed the instructions from the article to update the driver. It searched online and came back with this message: Windoes has determined the software for your device is up-to-date.

Now what?

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
go here...run the FIX IT FOR ME... Microsoft Automated Troubleshooting Services: Your CD or DVD drive cannot read or write media

acmatters

acmatters

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts
I did as you said, happyrock. Mr. Fixit detected a problem and fixed it. However, it's still not working. When I try to install software from a CD, the green light goes on and it sounds like it's trying to start up automatically, but it doesn't. Same thing when trying to play an audio CD.

Now, when Ninja asked me if my CD drive shows up in My Computer, I'm wondering if I answered that correctly. When I click on Computer, it shows my hard drive (C:) and Factory Image (D:). When I right-click the D drive and then click open, it shows a Recovery file. Is that's what supposed to happen? Something doesn't look right there.

Thanks for the help!

~Shari

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
NOPE...it should be similar to mine...
if yours isn't showing your dvd/cd drive go here and run CDgone

Edited by happyrock, 28 January 2010 - 12:13 PM.

Advertisements

acmatters

acmatters

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts
Okay, mine doesn't show the CD-DVD drive. So what does that mean? Do I need a new one?

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
read my previous post about cdgone...(I edited it)

acmatters

acmatters

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts
happyrock, you're a genius! Thanks so much for your help. All is working fabulously now. I wish I knew what we did. I just blindly followed your instructions and voila!

Edited by acmatters, 28 January 2010 - 05:28 PM.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts

I just blindly followed your instructions and voila!

with me being half blind...I'm surprised we found the way.. :)
your welcome...and thanks for letting us know... :)

acmatters

acmatters

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts
I'm back with the same problem ... computer not recognizing the CD/DVD drive. I was able to find this previous thread and have followed all of the suggestions. Ran Mr. Fixit, but the drive is still not showing up. I ran the CDGone and still nothing. Any suggestions as to what we can do this time? Thanks.