Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Modem Resource conflict

• Please log in to reply

diehackersdie

diehackersdie

• PipPip
  • 38 posts
:) My parents old modem got fried and their computer would turn on and goto a black screen. I diagnosed that the modem card was fried and removed it. After that the computer turned on and had problems loading windows. So I used their windows xp home disk to recover windows and it works fine now. But there is a resource conflict Code 12 when I open the device manager on "Texas Instrument OHCI Compliant IEEE 1394 Host Controller and "Generic 56k HCF Data Fax Modem". I have tried changing device irq's in Bios and to no avail nothing seems to work... I'm wondering if this could be due to the recovery deleting sp2? I am unable to get the comp online and download sp3 into it and see if it fix's the problem. I need some help and it would be most appreciated!

OS Win Xp Home
Compaq Presario 6000

Advertisements

phillipcorcoran

phillipcorcoran

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts
This is less of a cure and more of a workaround that should work.
The 1394 Host Controller refers to a 'Firewire' port (looks like a mini usb port).
If this port is never used you could disable it in Windows, which will stop it's driver being loaded.

I'm on Vista at the moment so please allow for slight errors here:

Open Control Panel and select "Classic View"
Click 'System' then the 'Hardware' tab, then 'Device Manager'
Expand 'IEEE 1394 Bus host controllers' in the list.
Right-click 'Texas Instrument OHCI Compliant IEEE 1394 Host Controller'
Click "Disable" in the context-menu
Click "Yes" if you get an "are you sure" prompt.
Click 'OK'
Restart Windows.

Edited by phillipcorcoran, 27 January 2010 - 04:50 PM.

diehackersdie

diehackersdie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
I disabled it and still have a resource conflict... I even disabled it in Bios and still yet have the resource conflict... I have no idea if this would matter? But i did delete the original modem devices that came with the computer when i was installing the new 1. I also plugged the new card into in the slot above the old 1; cause for some reason it wouldn't read that the new modem card was in that slot... I hope this can help with getting some idea as to what is wrong!

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Hi guys can I add something in here? First you said this:

I diagnosed that the modem card was fried and removed it. After that the computer turned on and had problems loading windows.

Then you mentioned this:

But there is a resource conflict Code 12 when I open the device manager on "Texas Instrument OHCI Compliant IEEE 1394 Host Controller and "Generic 56k HCF Data Fax Modem

Can I ask if you go into Device Manager and right click on the modem and uninstall it does the error still happen?

diehackersdie

diehackersdie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
I tried to uninstall the new modem twice and it went to the blue screen and restarted... I will keep messing with it and let you know if I can get it to unistall... I might have to remove the card first possibly...

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I

diagnosed that the modem card was fried and removed it. After that the computer turned on and had problems loading windows.

If the card is bad then I would remove it and leave it out. I thought from what you said the modem was taken out already. :)