Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help with "Updating your computer is almost complete"

• Please log in to reply

Master Spade

Master Spade

• PipPip
  • 94 posts
Hello, I need help with that pop up that shows up EVERY time I turn on the PC. It specifically says: "Updating your computer is almost complete. You must restart you computer for the updates to take effect. Do you want to restart you computer now?" I can only choose to Restart Now, or Restart Later. It comes up every 15 minutes! If I ignore the message, it will automatically restart in 15 minutes!!

This happened after I had to use my PC's 360GB HD I used over two Years ago after my newer 500GB HD had problems and now won't even boot up. Because this 360GB HD is so old and I hadn't used it in so long, I updated it to the newest Windows XP. After that, it seemed to be OK and I even ran Scans with SuperAntiVirus, Malwarebytes and McAfee. Everything seems to be clean now, but that Update message started coming out.

When it first popped up, I would restart the PC to see if it would solve the problem. But, NADA. It says it's installing "1 of 1 Update". It restarts, and that pop up comes out AGAIN!!

Like I said, this 360GB HD is the older one, sometimes the Taskbar doesn't come out when I boot up with it. Maybe that's part of the Problem? I have to use this HD because I can't seem to fix the 500GB HD. And, as I type this........guess what just popped up......yeah...It warns me that it will restart automatically unless I select to restart later...huh....

Anyway, I have Windows XP Media Edition on a Dell XPS PC. Anymore info you need, just ask.

Thanks.

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
you will have to repair xp...

for the how to repair your operating system guides...
go here...

Master Spade

Master Spade

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts

you will have to repair xp...

for the how to repair your operating system guides...
go here...

New problem with that computer.....now it won't even power up! :)
I was transferring some of the Data that I recovered from the 500GB HD that I put on the External HD onto the 360GB HD when "IT" happened..........THE POWER WENT OUT IN MY NEIGHBORHOOD!!!! :) :) !! WTH!?? After about 40 minutes, the power returned. I tried to turn on the PC again, and it won't even power up now! I also had my TV and XBOX 360 turned on, and we ALL know how Fragile the 360's are. But even that Microsoft product turned back on and works just as before!?? But the PC won't power up??!!

How much TERRIBLE luck can I have with PC's??? What worries me is, that I had that External Hard Drive connected, so I don't know if that's fried. I'm going to have to get my sisters PC AGAIN and put my Hard Drives in there and see if the problem with my PC is the Hard Drives. Hopefully they are OK.

Any suggestions on what to do to power up a PC after a Power outage? I notice that the numbers 1,2, and 3, glow in front of the PC tower. Also something that looks like a Can glows next to those numbers. Is that some sign of what's wrong?

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
The lights you see are probably diagnostic lights.

Is this a Dell?
Make and model would help.

Master Spade

Master Spade

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts

The lights you see are probably diagnostic lights.

Is this a Dell?
Make and model would help.

Yup, it's a Dell XPS 400 running Windows XP Media Edition.