Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Ran Combofix, and Please help me bring windows up again

• Please log in to reply

LIZMERRILL

LIZMERRILL

• PipPip
  • 34 posts
I have a problem. I ran combofix, renamed when running it, to remove a rootkit.
During the process, it had to reboot my laptop, xp. During boot it goes to a screen
where (like hitting f8) it gives you choices i.e., safe mode, safe mode with networking, while at the same counting down to boot windows normally. Then when it reboots, it ends up on the same screen again. I had to select safe mode, at which point, programs did come up. I check msconfig, startup programs, all there normally, but again, it go to f8 screen, and loop again, instead of booting windows completely.
What can I do. I have a feeling combofix screwed my system.
Help, Please.

Liz

Advertisements

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP
See if you can get it to boot into Safe Mode with Networking. That may allow you to get on the internet and you can post your combofix log.

Ron