Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Yet more Login/Logout, Shake It All About issues.

• Please log in to reply

originaloli

originaloli

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi,

I picked up a virus/worm yesterday from a facebook message, or a torrent I think. The first sign was (I think) fake windows messages saying I was infected. Shortly afterwards, Utorrent failed. System Restore also failed at this point. After that I noticed sound had died, across the board. I unplugged the modem and ran Norton, which picked up nothing at all. I turned off and went to work. I came home, reconnected, went warily online and downloaded AVG. I then installed AVG which didn't go down so well. After completing both upgrading to Iexplorer8 and installation of AVG I restarted.

At this point I hit the login/logoff I now hear so much about. I got into Safe mode twice and ran AVG both times. On the third login through safe (this morning) it looped. I got the disk and product key and got into recovery console. copy userinit.exe did not work, nor did the d:/expand command. I tried a repair but it quit right at the end saying there was a fault.

The name is worm.win32.netsky and the computer is an HP Compaq.

About my current situation. I am using our notebook. The desktop is not connected to the internet or any other external things. I have internet access. I have no CD burner and will be pushing my Japanese language skills to get this done in an internet cafe. I'm starting to think that a complete reformat might be best.

Hopefully this a decent amount of information for somebody to be able to help. Any advice much appreciated.

Oli

Advertisements

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
The best solution that I know of for login/logoff problems is here. Follow the instructions, prepare the two CDs and run it.

If you succeed in rebooting post immediately in the malware forum of G2G. You can use the link in my signature below. Run all the prerequisite tests befor posting.

Edited by The Skeptic, 27 January 2010 - 01:13 PM.