Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows 7 failing to start

• Please log in to reply

kkrucke

kkrucke

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hello, I have an HP pavilion dv9700 Laptop. I upgraded to windows 7 Ultimate version middle of November and had no problems until mid December.

Problem: When I shut down my computer,(restart it, Let it go into hibernate, sleep mode) or anything that power's it down, it will load onto a black screen. From there it will have no sounds, No mouse, Nothing of the sorts. After many MANY restarts, shut downs. It "acts" like it wants to load. It will start on the black screen and you can see the yellow and red colored dots appear and freeze, Will not continue any further. From that point I must hold down the power button and try again.

I have tried numerous times to boot into safe mode, and it will not at all. When it first happened(or rather after spending 10 hours trying to get it to power myself) I actually took it to Best buy(where I purchased) to see if they could do anything about it, it started up perfectly fine.

When I get the option from doing a power down to do a system restore it doesn't work. It continues to go through the process and once it reboots it does the same exact thing and goes back to the black window with the two red and yellow colored dots.

Second Problem: My dvd/cd drive drivers don't work with windows 7 anymore it seems. When this problem started to happen it stopped working as well. Hence I can't do a a complete reinstall. It does spin up. It is plugged in. I can hear it trying to load and failing when there is a cd in it. Also a few times when I had the Windows 7 cd in it, trying to get it to boot into the CD rather then failing at black screen, It would load and give me an error. This has only happened twice, I was able to take a picture with my phone, unfortunately it's not very pretty the status error is said was "0xc00000e9".

Last time it did this i unplugged it from the wall(left the battery in) and let the computer boot up to the black screen and let it wait there until the battery died. Once then I plugged it in and was able to start it up. Since then I haven't turned off the computer at all. Any information, or help would be much appreciated. I have turned off the hibernate mode, Turned off sleep more, no screen savers, no windows updates anymore. I am to scared to turn off the computer for fear it won't turn back on anymore since the last time.

Much appreciated
Kris

Edit: I forgot to add that, I have no usb pluggins, I have went into BIOS to check to see if the cd drive is showing up there and it doesn't anymore.

Edited by kkrucke, 28 January 2010 - 12:32 AM.

Advertisements

kkrucke

kkrucke

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Just wondering if anyone has read or seen anyone else have this problem. or any solutions to help

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
Is it still under warranty?

kkrucke

kkrucke

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
yeah, but I was hoping to have another solution then be without a computer for a month while it gets sent in.

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
HP may have some local repair center, so it doesn't have to be that long.
You better check it out, while it's free.