Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

"Hard drive detects imminent failure" message at startup

• Please log in to reply

jencwu

jencwu

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
No, I can't get into Windows as far as I know. Every time I boot the computer it gives me the error message I posted in my first post. It gives me the option of pressing F1 to ignore, but I haven't pressed that for fear of losing everything on the hd.

Advertisements

jencwu

jencwu

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
Thanks, I will try Puppy this weekend. Some friends are coming to visit and one of them is well versed in computer issues. I've described the problem to him and he thinks he may be able to help. If nothing else, he has an external hd that I can hopefully transfer my data to, as I do not have one. I will let you know how it works out.

jencwu

jencwu

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
Ok, I decided to go ahead and try just to see if it would work, even though I won't have access to the external hd until this weekend. Same results when I tried booting the computer with the CD in the drive. Still went to that same error message. Should I press F1 to ignore and see if it will boot to the CD then?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Try it but I think the painful truth is the hard drive is dead.

jencwu

jencwu

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
And if that's the case, does that mean there is no way to retrieve my files at all?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
If drive is dead then the only way to maybe get part of the data is through a professional data recovery company which could cost hundreds of dollars and none of them guarantee results.

jencwu

jencwu

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
Wow, amazingly enough, I was able to start Puppy by pressing F1 at that error screen. So I guess now I know it will work, so I just have to wait till this weekend when my friend brings his external hd.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
kewl hopefully it will still allow you to get the data off. You may only have one chance at this so be careful.

jencwu

jencwu

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
I have some DVD+Rs that I can put the data onto. I was trying to follow your directions for doing so, but when I take the Puppy disc out and put in the blank dvd+r then try to mount the drive, it says failure.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Another indication that the drive is no good. You are trying to mount the main drive or the cdrom?

Advertisements

jencwu

jencwu

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
CD rom. It allowed me to mount the main drive, and I was able to see all my files listed in there when I clicked on the file cabinet. It also will allow me to mount the CD rom when the Puppy cd is in, but not when there is a blank dvd in there.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Do you have blank cd's instead of dvd's?

jencwu

jencwu

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
I do, but they are much smaller. The dvds are 4.7gb and the cds are only 700mb. I do have a 4gb flash drive that I could use as well.

Do you think I can just close the computer down and wait until my friend comes with his external hd on Saturday? He knows a lot about computers so I think he'd be better equipped than me to transfer the data. I'm just afraid since I have it open right now and have access to it, that if I close it I won't be able to access it again. What do you suggest? If possible I'd just rather wait for my friend to do it.

Edited by jencwu, 28 January 2010 - 09:24 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I would wait for the external. What all are you backing up because data should not be that much unless you have a lot of music, video's or movies.

jencwu

jencwu

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
Mostly pictures--lots of pictures. Then just some MS Office files. I guess I just didn't know how much it was. Thinking about though, I bet it would all fit on my 4gb flash drive. I am attempting that now...