Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

tidserv.H!inf

• Please log in to reply

emjay420

emjay420

• Pip
  • 1 posts
hi.
My mums office computer was just infected with the infamous Tidserv.H!inf trojan. Because it's her office computer she doesn't feel comfortable with me toying around with it blindfolded (as I normally would successfully).
So...
it's infected the nvgts system file in the drivers folder. And she's running xp.
What i would do..
Disable the system restore, do an update on Norton for new virus definitions, restart to safemode and than run a new full scan.
would that work?
my mum needs some peace of mind.
aha
Thanks a bunch!
:) :)

Advertisements

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP
Disabling System Restore is like cutting down a safety net because it has a few thorns. Stupid idea. I know Norton and McAfee always tell you to do that but it really makes no sense. Infections in System Restore won't jump out and reinfect your system unless you tell System Restore to go back to an earlier date and cleaning a system is a dangerous thing so a safety net is really a good idea.

Running a scan in Safe Mode won't hurt anything but it's unlikely to fix the problem if the same antivirus didn't catch it at the beginning.

What you should do is follow our guide at the top of the forum.
http://www.geekstogo...uide-t2852.html
and then post your logs.

Ron