Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

I want to transfer my files from my old desktop to my new laptop but..

• Please log in to reply

buddygirrl234

buddygirrl234

• PipPip
  • 36 posts
I can't even enter Windows at all. It has been sitting on the screen for a long time, and now when I need to use it, I can't!

I have very valuable and important files on there, and I need many of them. I don't know what to do, and I don't even know if this is the right forum to post it to, but I hope I can get some help at all. I suspect it may be a virus so I posted this topic here.

So every time I boot up my desktop I get a BSOD error message saying this:

"A problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

If this is the first time you've seen this Stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

Disable or uninstall any anti-virus, disk defragmentation or backup utilities. Check your hard drive configuration, and check for any updated drivers. Run CHKDSK /F to check for hard drive corruption, and then restart your computer.

Technical information:

*** STOP: 0x00000024 (0x001902FE,0xF8B2F3D4,0xF8B2F0D0,0x82E5D805)"

(Note the numbers at the end vary slightly on each error screen.)

I've already tried booting in safe mode but I just get the same thing.

On this old desktop I run Windows XP with no anti-virus, as it will not let me run one.

Please help, those files are important and if I can't get to them then I'm screwed. T.T

Thanks in advance for any help.

Advertisements

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP
The error is not good. Says your file system is corrupt. With the Restore Console from the XP CD you could try running chkdsk /f like it says and see if that fixes it.

You can also try Kaspersky's rescue disk. You can boot off it and scan your system for infections and also recover data if the disk is still good.

http://www.askvg.com...ure-and-others/

Sometimes the maker of your hard drive will have a test utility which will help. Check out their website.

Ron