Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

I came from the shop with a working motherboard but now.... PLEASE HEL

• Please log in to reply

shreddersdr

shreddersdr

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
Hey guys.
so.
im putting together a PC.
I got all the necessary parts but there was a problem - neither of the 2 motherboards worked that i had.
I went and bought one.
Tested it in the shop WITH MY OWN POWER SUPPLY and MY OWN processor.
Then i walked home and when i screwed it in the box, connected just the SAME POWER SUPPLY, video card and 2 HDDs, it doesnt work.
It does make all the vents spin and HDDs/CDdrive working but the monitor stays on standby no matter what.
(both with my own graphics card AND also when connected to the integrated slot).
Also i cant get the post beep from the internal speaker.
I was thinking, what are the chances the -20 C* cold outside for 15 minutes while i was walking could have damaged the mobo? I let it warm up in the room temperature for quite some time but no use.
What is causing this?
I need some kind of help real quick cause im behind schedule with my job already :)

Ill be hoping for some explanation for this :)
Thanks!

Advertisements

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts

Tested it in the shop WITH MY OWN POWER SUPPLY and MY OWN processor.

How did you test it?
Did you have everything hooked up?
Did you have enough connected to get the boot up sequence?

The cold could possibly create the problem if you tried to install and boot right away. The components would be cold and then instantly subjected to heat. Also there would be the chance of moisture from the cold and then warm that could short the board.

shreddersdr

shreddersdr

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
so if i did install and boot straight away, would the damage be permanent?
and no, not enough connected. in the shop we only connected CPU, monitor, keyboard and the power supply.
now at home it doesnt bring the screen out of stantby even like this, not talking about the rest of the components connected :)

Edited by shreddersdr, 28 January 2010 - 10:12 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

Then i walked home and when i screwed it in the box, connected just the SAME POWER SUPPLY, video card and 2 HDDs, it doesnt work.

Did you make sure there were no standoffs in the wrong place under the motherboard when you put it in your case? If not you may be shorting it out. Try taking the mobo out and booting it outside the case.

shreddersdr

shreddersdr

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Did you make sure there were no standoffs in the wrong place under the motherboard when you put it in your case? If not you may be shorting it out. Try taking the mobo out and booting it outside the case.

:)
already tried it. i thought so too, since in the shop we tried it w/o a box, but no, its not that :)

still, could the cold have made permanent damage? :)

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Memory installed?
Any post beeps at all? If not is there a speaker connected to hear post beeps?

shreddersdr

shreddersdr

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
ive got 512mb memory installed, i have tried 2 speakers just in case, neither of them give me a post beep :)

shreddersdr

shreddersdr

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
there is another thing im thinking about - when the shop installed my CPU on the motherboard, they (obviously) used the thermal paste. 5 minutes after, i went out to go home and was in cold temperature for that time. could that have anything to do with it?
Sorry, i dont exactly know how the paste works so if its a noob question, im sorry :)

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
The paste is a thermal paste and allows the heatsink to distribute the heat up to the fan and be cooled off. At worse the paste would harden but if you let it sit for a bit then it would have thawed out.

shreddersdr

shreddersdr

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
what happens if i were to remove all the paste? :)

and there is yet another thing i just noticed - it does switch on using the power button but im not able to switch it off any other way than powering off the power supply.
does that help?

Advertisements

shreddersdr

shreddersdr

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
i would like if anyone would at least list the possible reasons and i can start eliminating them one by one.
what ive checked:
power supply
ram
video card(s)
monitor
power supply cables

its just SO frustrating!

anyone?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
What mobo make and model is it? Did you make sure the power connectors for the mobo are all connected?
20+4 connector and a 4 pin connector sometimes is needed.

shreddersdr

shreddersdr

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
i cracked it ;)
it works :)
i left it warming in the room overnight and it still didnt work.
but what was wrong with this time - STATIC!!!
that was the creator of every problem :)

i DO HAVE ANOTHER question though.
it started up and it tells me:
CMOS checksum error - defaults loaded.
please re enter cpu settings in the CMOS setup and remember to save before quit.

i understand this is cause i cleared CMOS but where is the setup? :)
i really dont know this :)

shreddersdr

shreddersdr

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
LOL i must have just asked the stupidest question :):D:D
i DO know bios and cmos config :)
anyways, im down with it now, ill connet all the devices and i will still post here when im done so it could be marked as solved :)

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK if you reset the cmos you would need to go into the bios and set the time and date. Normally when you first bootup at the first post screen you tap the DEL key to enter bios. From there change the date and time to be correct. Click the F10 to save and exit and then you will be asked to click the Y key to verify.
The system will then boot again and hopefully everything will work correctly.