Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Hyperfil error message

• Please log in to reply

lizkkk

lizkkk

• PipPip
  • 33 posts
I bought a new external disk drive. I am attempting to copy "C" drive data to the new external, "J", but every time I try to get the process to go forward, I get a "cannot copy hiberfil" box that comes up. It says that hiberfil is being used by another person or program and for me to close any programs that might be using the file and try again.

Yesterday, I did attempt to defrag the computer, and I did format the new external drive.

How can I work around/fix the hiberfil error box?

Thanks in advance. :)

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
This is a system file. You will not be able to copy it from Windows because Windows is using it. This will also occur for many other files down the line as well.
If you want to take a full image of your drive you are strongly recommended to image the drive as opposed to simply copying it.
This website - http://ghost.radified.com/ - will tell you how to use Norton Ghost, a pretty good program available from all major outlets.

lizkkk

lizkkk

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
Thanks for that bit of info.

I have the external drive that I just bought and I want to use. Instead of a one stop copy, I am assuming I have to look at files and copy from there instead.

Edited by lizkkk, 28 January 2010 - 04:20 PM.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
No, with Norton Ghost you simply tell Ghost the drive you want to copy and where you want to copy it to. Ghost will do the rest.