Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Wont Read External Hard Dive

• Please log in to reply

Zoom777

Zoom777

• Pip
  • 1 posts
So im using a USB external sata adapater to try to get info off of my old laptop harddrive... when i plugged it in i got it to read it and it showed up on my computer.. but then it got unhooked and when i tried to plug it in again it did pop up but all my files where gone and there where just 5 files in there with weird symbols as their name. I cant figure it out please help...i think its corrupted but i really need some files off that hard drive

Advertisements

phillipcorcoran

phillipcorcoran

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts
before you disconnect an external drive you are supposed to to use the "safely remove hardware" icon in the system tray first, which will tell you whether or not it's safe to disconnect it. Failing to do this can lead to data loss.

You could try running Windows error-checker on the drive. Right-click the drive in My Computer and choose 'Properties'. Click the Tools tab, click "Check Now".
Tick both options, click Start.