Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Removing "Microsoft Windows XP Professional Setup"

• Please log in to reply

dflock

dflock

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
Hi.

I was going to re-install Windows XP to try and rid my computer of mal-ware. I started the install and now i get a boot menu. Or two choices, 1. Boot Windows XP and 2. Microsoft Windows XP Professional Setup.

I don't want to upgrade anymore, now that I have fixed the problem. But I don't know how to remove this menu before XP starts. What can I do?

I found in "Start-up and Recovery" the two bootable modes. What should I do to remove this? I don't know if I can remove both and still have Windows start. Here is a copy of of my boot.ini file:

[Boot Loader]
Timeout=5
Default=C:\$WIN_NT$.~BT\BOOTSECT.DAT
[Operating Systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn
C:\$WIN_NT$.~BT\BOOTSECT.DAT="Microsoft Windows XP Professional Setup"

I would just like Windows XP to start as it normally should.

Thanks,

Derek

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
[Boot Loader]
Timeout=5
Default=C:\$WIN_NT$.~BT\BOOTSECT.DAT
[Operating Systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn

that will give you your old boot back

then delete the folder

C:\$WIN_NT$.~BT\

dflock

dflock

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Thanks very much! :tazz:

dflock

dflock

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
I might be wrong, but doesn't the above code set "Default=C:\$WIN_NT$.~BT\BOOTSECT.DAT" as the default directory? Then you want me to Delete it?!

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
holy spit, am I glad you caught that....sleeping at the wheel...didn't read your post carefully enough that we're in the middle of an install...we still would have been able to recover, but it would have required more effort

Let's start over, and take this in two steps

First, cut and paste the following into your boot.ini

[Boot Loader]
[Boot Loader]
Timeout=5
Default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[Operating Systems]

Reboot

THEN, delete that folder..... :tazz:
Geez, sorry man

dflock

dflock

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Not a problem. Glad for the help. I have done the above and will reboot shortly. The above code looks more logical and should work fine. Thanks again.