Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Ram/Memory and Motherboard Compatibility Inquiry

• Please log in to reply

mvellon3

mvellon3

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Help needed! I have a support question for G.Skill Tri-Channel Memory 2048MB x 3 F3-10666CL9T-6GBNQ. (6gb RAM)

It says on the box it is compatible for intel core i7 CPUs. I bought an eVGA P55 LE core i5 motherboard which supports DDR3 240pin memory, and a corresponding Intel Quad Core i5 750 2.66 GHZ CPU processor.

Will this memory be compatible with this motherboard and CPU, even though the G.Skill memory box says "For Intel Core i7 CPUs"? Would it function properly?

Anyone who can answer this let me know!

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
All Intel "i" series processors use DDR3 memory. It's only been relatively recently that DDR3 has become available on the i3 and i5 range of processors. It should be fine.

Edited by Neil Jones, 30 January 2010 - 12:25 PM.

mvellon3

mvellon3

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
The other question I had is that my eVGA P55 LE core i5 motherboard has 4 channel slots for RAM memory (16gb max). Right now, I have purchased the G.Skill Tri-Channel Memory Kit (3 x 2gb = 6gb). However, my motherboard instructions manual says if using 1 DIMM (Single Channel), install into DIMM slot 1. If using 2 DIMMs (Dual Channel), install into DIMM slots 1 and 3. If using 4 DIMMS (Dual Channel), install into DIMM slots 2, 1, 4, and 3.

Does this mean I have to purchase one more module of RAM (to make it 4 DIMMS)? Could this motherboard support just 3 Memory modules though there are 4 channels? If I have to purchase one more RAM module, must that module have the same specifications (brand, speed, size, etc.) as the other three G.Skill modules I have purchased? (G.Skill 2048MB x 3 F3-10666CL9T-6GBNQ is what I had purchased)

Thanks.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts

The other question I had is that my eVGA P55 LE core i5 motherboard has 4 channel slots for RAM memory (16gb max). Right now, I have purchased the G.Skill Tri-Channel Memory Kit (3 x 2gb = 6gb). However, my motherboard instructions manual says if using 1 DIMM (Single Channel), install into DIMM slot 1. If using 2 DIMMs (Dual Channel), install into DIMM slots 1 and 3. If using 4 DIMMS (Dual Channel), install into DIMM slots 2, 1, 4, and 3.

Does this mean I have to purchase one more module of RAM (to make it 4 DIMMS)? Could this motherboard support just 3 Memory modules though there are 4 channels?

Tri-channel memory (3 slots) seems to only be available on the i7 boards (the 1366 socket ones) but I see no reason why it shouldn't work on your board. It just won't run in tri-channel mode.

mvellon3

mvellon3

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi,

I do have one more followup question. If installing 3 memory card sticks in a dual channel system (i.e. slot 1, slot 2, slot 3, slot 4), what is the optimal way to install the memory cards so that 2 will be operating in dual channel and the remaining one will be operating in single channel? In other words, which slot numbers should I install the RAM? My motherboard installation manual (see EVGA P55 LE manual for reference at EVGA.com if needed) says if installing one, install in slot 1; if installing 2 sticks, install in slot 1 and slot 3; if installing four, install in slots 2, slot 1, slot 4, slot 3. However, there is no instruction in which slot #s to utilize when using three sticks. Please advise. Thanks!

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
Just thought I'd help clarify...

Does this mean I have to purchase one more module of RAM (to make it 4 DIMMS)?

No...

Tri-channel memory (3 slots) seems to only be available on the i7 boards (the 1366 socket ones) but I see no reason why it shouldn't work on your board. It just won't run in tri-channel mode.

Correct Neil, ideally triple channel sets are sold for the i7/X58 triple channel setup, but really there is no reason why you can't use that RAM on a i5-i7/P55 dual channel setup. It's really a matter of just matching the number of slots on the board equally, but not a necessity.

If installing 3 memory card sticks in a dual channel system (i.e. slot 1, slot 2, slot 3, slot 4), what is the optimal way to install the memory cards so that 2 will be operating in dual channel and the remaining one will be operating in single channel?

You actually found this answer, and didn't even know it. :) You said...

If using 4 DIMMS (Dual Channel), install into DIMM slots 2, 1, 4, and 3

So you just don't use the last one... which is 4. So install in 1, 3, and then the single Ram stick goes in 2. See? 1, 2, 3. Exclude DIMM 4. EDIT: I notice the above quote goes, 2,1,4,3... so it might actually be 2,1,4, exclude 3. Whichever the case, if you install in a wrong slot, it's not going to blow anything up... it's really just trial and error if you don't have a manual. No big deal.

Can you link me to your exact motherboard? I'll confirm. Also, a link to your memory would be nice too. Thanks.

Edited by Ferrari, 15 February 2010 - 01:10 AM.

mvellon3

mvellon3

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi, thanks for your quick reply! My Memory kit is G.Skill F3-10666CL9T-6GBNQ (3x2gb). You can find a link to this memory at http://gskill.com/pr...s.php?index=200.

The motherboard is EVGA P55 LE Part Number 123-LF-E653-KR. You can find a link to this memory at http://www.evga.com/...=123-LF-E653-KR.

Thanks!

mvellon3

mvellon3

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi, thanks for your quick reply! My Memory kit is G.Skill F3-10666CL9T-6GBNQ (3x2gb). You can find a link to this memory at http://gskill.com/pr...s.php?index=200.

The motherboard is EVGA P55 LE Part Number 123-LF-E653-KR. You can find a link to this memory at http://www.evga.com/...=123-LF-E653-KR.

Thanks!

mvellon3

mvellon3

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Thanks!

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
It should do just fine. :)

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
mvellon3,

I realized last night as I was going to sleep (about 2 minutes after my last post) that I didn't confirm what slots to use. I thought I was just confirming compatibility for some reason...

Anyway, EVGA's website and the PDF specs sheet was rather a joke, I couldn't find any real info that I needed, considering I have an EVGA board on my main system, that doesn't make me happy.

So just do this...

So you just don't use the last one... which is 4. So install in 1, 3, and then the single Ram stick goes in 2. See? 1, 2, 3. Exclude DIMM 4. EDIT: I notice the above quote goes, 2,1,4,3... so it might actually be 2,1,4, exclude 3. Whichever the case, if you install in a wrong slot, it's not going to blow anything up... it's really just trial and error if you don't have a manual. No big deal.

And you'll be just fine. Good luck. :)