Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

MBAM & SAS Updates

• Please log in to reply

Chimiti

Chimiti

• PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
Just exactly how do the Updates for Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and SUPERAnti-Spyware work?

For example: I've only used MBAM probably about 4 times. Seemingly every time I check for Updates, no matter if it's been 2 weeks since I last used it, it downloads like 3.8 Meg of Updates. What the heck is up? At that rate I'll be afraid to use it if it's gonna download 3.8 Meg every time I use it ... what with my 10 Gig Hard Drive with only on the average around 3.7 Gig of Free Space left.

Yesterday it was even worse. I went to do a routine MBAM Scan. So, I clicked on my Desktop's MBAM Shortcut Icon. I of course proceeded to check for Updates. Well, it said it was gonna download around 4.9 Meg!!! :) :) I wasn't happy, but I had to do what I had to do. An eternity later (On my Dial Up), it was SEEMINGLY done. I thought I was ready to start the Scan. Instead, I encounter ANOTHER friggin'Window telling me MBAM will now be updated ... with 3.8 Meg! Again ... What the heck? I was like, "Didn't you just freakin' UPDATE already?" A slightly shorter eternity later, that was done. But, now it was too late. I didn't get around to performing the Scan because it was too close to bedtime. I hadn't counted on downloading 8.7 Meg of UPDATES.

However, in hindsight, that 1st so-called MBAM 4.9 Meg Update behaved more like an Install. COULD it have been an Install of MBAM even though I initiated it from the MBAM Desktop Shortcut? I AM aware that MBAM is Shareware. DOES it expire after a month or something and then you have to install it again? I didn't think it would expire. I thought the way it worked was you'd just never be able to use the perks that the Paid version has.

So, what is up? And how do the SAS Updates work? Cuz those also take a friggin' eternity to download every time.

Edited by Chimiti, 30 January 2010 - 11:05 AM.

Advertisements

dm27

dm27

• PipPipPip
  • 272 posts
Hello Chimiti,

I'm a user of both programs, MBAM for real-time protection and SAS for on-demand scanning. MBAM actually updates its full database, so the 3.8 or 3.7 MB size updates are not cumulative; each update supersedes the previous one.

According to this thread on the SAS forum, they used a compressed file for their full definition updates.

Basically, both programs definition files will be around 4 MB for MBAM and slightly larger for SAS, but again they are not added together.

Hope this helps,

Sincerely,

dm

Chimiti

Chimiti

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
Thanks for the reply and Info, dm! :)
Whew! It's sure good to hear that those Updates for both MBAM and SAS are NOT cumulative. The thought did cross my mind, but it was more like hoping instead of knowing.

Okay, so I'm clear on that now.
NOW ... can you touch on the other part of my inquiry?
Do you have any idea why last night my MBAM first did a 4.9 Meg download BEFORE the usual typical 3.8 Meg download? COULD it have actually been that MBAM first downloaded the entire Application?

How DOES that Shareware aspect of MBAM work? Will the Application expire after X amount of days and then it has to be reinstalled? Or should it be able to keep working continuously in the FREE version mode without having to reinstall it.

I had never had MBAM do TWO downloads / Updates like that before starting a Scan. I'm just trying to get to the bottom of why that 1st 4.9 Meg download occurred. With my Dial Up, I sure don't want to go through 2 downloads for a total of 8.7 Meg every time I use MBAM.

xblindx

xblindx

• PipPipPip
  • 132 posts

Okay, so I'm clear on that now.
NOW ... can you touch on the other part of my inquiry?
Do you have any idea why last night my MBAM first did a 4.9 Meg download BEFORE the usual typical 3.8 Meg download? COULD it have actually been that MBAM first downloaded the entire Application?

Hi, the first 4.9 megs was an update to the program version, not the definitions. In other words, instead of making you re-download a newer version of the program from its website, MBAM automatically downloads and installs the newest version with the check for updates feature. After the new version is installed, it updates its new definitions.

How DOES that Shareware aspect of MBAM work? Will the Application expire after X amount of days and then it has to be reinstalled? Or should it be able to keep working continuously in the FREE version mode without having to reinstall it.

MBAM will never expire, like I stated above, it was just updating its program version.

Chimiti

Chimiti

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
Awesome! That pretty much answers my questions. :)
Thanks, xblindx! :)

Chimiti

Chimiti

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
You were right, xblindx. I just went and checked on FileHippo and the latest MBAM version is 1.44. The latest version I had was 1.42. So, yep, apparently bringing my MBAM version up to the latest was what took place during that 1st download last night.

xblindx

xblindx

• PipPipPip
  • 132 posts
Happy to help :)