Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Trouble replacing display on Satellite M35x-S349

• Please log in to reply

geno368

geno368

• PipPipPip
  • 275 posts
A family member asked me to replace her Toshiba M35x-s349 laptop display for her. I hooked up an external monitor to check video drivers, etc..worked fine. After dismantling the unit I found that someone elso had been into it before and didn't replace all the screws. Also, the is a small black wire with a round connector on it that was not hooked to a screw..I have no idea where it goes. It is wrapped with the wire coming from the MB. It may be not used since it is pretty short, but just need to be sure.

Also, I ordered the display and also a backlight. I installed the lcd, but don't see where the small backlight goes. I powered it up and got a brief small display on the lower right hand corner of the screen...than nothing. The system booted but no video. I am curious if I should replace the inverter board? Can anyone assist me in troubleshooting this? Thanks.

Advertisements

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
I suspect that the small black wire is a ground (black is usually a ground designation.

I am having trouble finding a service manual online. It seems that Toshiba keeps that a big secret.

Try This
You might find something here

"LCD screens require the use of an inverter to supply power to the screen’s back lighting. Backlighting is used in smaller LCD screens such as laptops to produce higher brightness and readability factors".

With that said, if the inverter was bad, you would still see what was on the display. It would be very dark and sometimes the use of a flashlight would help "show" you what was on the screen. So if you are not "seeing" anything, then something is still wrong.

123runner