Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

First time build advice

• Please log in to reply

dedeye_dave

dedeye_dave

• Pip
  • 1 posts
My wife is letting me spend a portion of our taxes on a computer build when I get home from Iraq as a welcome home gift. I am going to have around $3000.00 for the build. I am wanting to build a nice gaming computer that is fully upgradeable. I don't know where to start. Maybe someone can recommend a company for me to have one built, or maybe someone here can point me in the right direction. The thing is I don't know where to start at.

Thanks a million,
dE

Advertisements

lmwamh

lmwamh

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
3,000 is an awful lot XD. I think I've seen a lot of people say you can get one for 1600-2000 if not less. ^^

Be prepared to spend the most on the processor or the video cards. A lot of video cards are ~600 dollars ^^

I would definitely look into the 5870 and 5970. I've heard very good things about those!

Edited by lmwamh, 30 January 2010 - 01:31 PM.

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
You can build a really really nice computer for $3000. As a matter a fact, you can probably build a top of line, state of the art build for less than that.

Question though: Are you going to build this yourself? Or are you wanting to go with a company that builds it for you? Maybe a local company? Here are some links you may like:

Things I most definitely recommend if you have a large budget like $3000.
  • ATI Radeon 5870 (two of them in CrossFireX)
  • A very large Monitor to Game on, or two large Dual Monitors, or Eyefinity (5870's triple monitor setup)
  • RAID ARRAY of two SSD's (Solid State Disk) for your main programs/games and your Operating System
  • Then use 1TB HDD (Hard Drive Disk) for storage of music, videos, pictures, etc.
  • Tons of RAM Atleast 8gb or more.
  • Microsoft Windows 7 64bit Operating System because it supports DirectX 11
  • i7 Socket 1366 CPU (which will use a X58chipset Motherboard)
  • Blu-Ray Player (if you want)
  • Etc.

Hope that helps, and let us know if you need help in picking parts if you build it yourself, or if you'd like some confirmation on a computer you are having built by another company/individual.

Edited by Ferrari, 30 January 2010 - 06:32 PM.