Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Resolution problem on new computer

• Please log in to reply

Plutox

Plutox

• PipPipPip
  • 349 posts
I have a new PC computer loaded with a new XP Pro SP3 installation disc.

My display is a NVIDIA GeForce 7025NVIDIA nForce 630a. Have reinstalled this thrice to see if that helped.

The web pages are too big, mostly too wide, almost two times so I have to scroll back and forth to see all. But at the top of the screen I can just see the Minimize button. As I cannot move the page to see the other 2 buttons I cannot use them.

I have tried to alter the resolution in Display Properties(with the slider) but after clicking to keep the changes the screen goes blank (as it should) and then comes back with the resolution as before, 640x480 (slider in low position).
Even when I start the computer I get the message, 'Your computer's resolution and color depth are set to a very low level .... would you like Windows to change it?' I click yes, it goed thru the motions but it doesn't change.

In Device Manager all is well. The retailer has tried to help but this has stumped them. The last suggesion is to reload the XP disk and go for 'repair'. Do you think this would address this problem?

Any advice please to sort this out?

Edited by Plutox, 30 January 2010 - 03:49 PM.

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
What make and model is your computer. If you go to either the computer manufacturer or the motherboard manufacturer's website, you should be able to find the "CHIPSET" drivers for your computer. You will need these chipset drivers since you have On-Board Nvidia video. You cannot get the correct drivers from the Nvidia website.

Heres a list of Motherboards with this chipset. Look at the second set with the 7025 chipset.

http://www.nvidia.co...bo_gpu_wtb.html

SRX660

Plutox

Plutox

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 349 posts
Thank you for your response.

Firstly the 7025 chipset listed on that link is headed by socket AM2 but I have AM3. Would that make a difference?

My computer is made up by a small supplier, in business for many years with no bad reports. So the unit should be configuered complete with no fiddling to get it going properly. All drivers should be correct. The tech support there say that all units are tested before delivery. At the moment they cannot advise - perhaps on tomorrow, Monday

Some specs. are:
Board: ASRock N68-S (Altho ASRock site lists only N68-GS & N68C-SE - I haven't found out yet what this could mean)
BIOS: American Megatrends Inc. P1.50
Proc:
2.80 GB AMD Athlon II X2 240
64 bit ready
2 Cores not hyper-threaded

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Motherboards support many different processors so that should make no difference. You might want to look at this.

http://www.asrock.co...asp?Model=N68-S

On this drivers page i notice thatthere are 2video drivers. I don't really know but maybe you need both of them for your video to work. they are the NVIDIA all in 1 driver package ver: 1518, and the NVIDIA VGA driver ver:182.24. Or it could be the driver that was loaded was the wrong driver. I would try the Nvidia all in one driver first to see if it corrects the problem, and if not then maybe the other driver. The problem is by loading both drivers the computer may go into a continious reboot mode that you cannot stop. You will then need to go into recovery console to fix that problem. Anyway, her's where the drivers are.

http://www.asrock.co...odel=N68-S&o=XP

SRX660

Plutox

Plutox

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 349 posts
Yes that would be a logical way to go. I should have said that with this new computer the ASRock CD was included so I did run it including the All in One driver package.

I'll run that again. I don't think the assembly company would have sent out a faulty system but it can happen of course.

I'll stagger on to see if I can succeed and if not take it back to see if they can fix it or get a refund - I'm within one week on the Distance Selling Regulations!

Thanks again for taking the time to help me.
If I manage this problem I'll let you know for your information.
I had to borrow a friend's computer with Google Chrome as last night I got the malware, 'XP Spyware 2010' which means I cannot access IE. I now have to sort that out.

Plutox

Plutox

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 349 posts
Fixed!

I went back to the builder who saw the problem. He plugged in one of his hard drives and the resolution was OK indicating that my XP installation was at fault.

Reinstalling this fixed the problem. However coming home I found there were three one inch deep split strips across the screen hiding those parts of the same window behind, a mess. Although the monitor resolution did stay at 1280x800 (the rated res. of the monitor)

Going to the NVIDIA control panel and doing many Customising resolutions I got good sized pages but accepting those just got back to those covering 3 strips.

I then right clicked on Desktop> Proerties > Settings and setting res. to 1200x800 gave me a stable page setting - a tough fight but all seems OK now.

Plutox

Plutox

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 349 posts
Fixed!

I went back to the builder who saw the problem. He plugged in one of his hard drives and the resolution was OK indicating that my XP installation was at fault.

Reinstalling this fixed the problem. However coming home I found there were three one inch deep split strips across the screen hiding those parts of the same window behind, a mess. Although the monitor resolution did stay at 1280x800 (the rated res. of the monitor)

Going to the NVIDIA control panel and doing many Customising resolutions I got good sized pages but accepting those just got back to those covering 3 strips.

I then right clicked on Desktop> Properties > Settings and setting res. to 1200x800 gave me a stable page setting - a tough fight but all seems OK now.

Plutox

Plutox

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 349 posts
Fixed!

I then right clicked on Desktop> Properties > Settings and setting res. to 1200x800 gave me a stable page setting - a tough fight but all seems OK now.