Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

DVD Drives won't recognize DVDs or CDs

• Please log in to reply

brightflash

brightflash

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Both of the DVD drives in my Dell computer (one called an HL-DT-ST DVD+-RW GSA-H21N; the other an HL-DT-ST DVD-ROM GDR8164B)Show up as DVD Drives in the "Name" field but as CD Drives in the "Type" field of the "My Computer" window.

When I insert either a DVD or a CD into either drive, the "Name" changes from DVD Drive (D:) or DVD-RW Drive (E:) to CD Drive (D:) or CD Drive (E:). [Once I remove the DVD or CD, the "Name" returns to DVD Drive (D:) or DVD-RW Drive (E:).]

The D: drive, with disc inserted, shows no size or space; both the size and space columns are blank. The E: drive, with disc inserted, shows 0 bytes in both the size and space columns.

When, with the disc inserted in the drive, I try to "Open" the D: drive to look at the content of either the DVD or CD, I get an error message box to "Insert disk." Strangely, though the "Name" and "Type" fields both still indicate that the drive is a CD Drive, the "Insert disk" error message box shows a "DVDRom" icon on the left-hand side....

When, with disc inserted, I try to "Open" the E: drive, I don't get an error message. Instead, I am popped to a CD Drive (E:) window with a message in the left-hand (navigation) column titled, "CD Writing Tasks" and one option: "Write these files to CD." --There are no files in the window that could be written. But that's the message I get.

I have checked my cabling. Both drives appear to be properly connected to the motherboard. Also, my Device Manager shows no errors. . . .

Any suggestions on how to get these drives working again?

THANKS!

John

Advertisements

brightflash

brightflash

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Any suggestions on how to get these drives working again?

Strange . . .

My tech support guy from work reminded me of what we discovered once before: My DVD drives stop working when I have my Plantronics digital headset plugged into one of the USB ports on the front of the computer.

The drives work again if and when I either disconnect the headset or plug it into one of the USB ports on the back of the computer.

. . . I record this "solution" here in case it can be of help to someone else.

Thanks!