Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer running slow in normal mode.

• Please log in to reply

Sheena Leigh

Sheena Leigh

• Pip
  • 4 posts
My computer runs very very slow in normal mode, this started a few days ago. It runs perfectly in safe mode with networking but there is no sound when in this mode. Also, under my device manager, my mass storage controller has a yellow "!" beside of it. Can someone please tell me how to make it not be slow and get back to as fast as it was?

Advertisements

Waffleboy

Waffleboy

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
Try defragmenting your hard drive (I would use this: http://download.cnet...-10567503.html) and running CCleaner (http://download.cnet...aner/?tag=mncol)

Sheena Leigh

Sheena Leigh

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I have ran CCleaner. No luck. Also ran MBAM and Spybot. Came up clean. Will try downloading the defragmenter now.

Sheena Leigh

Sheena Leigh

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Defragging didn't help the problem either.

OpenOutcome

OpenOutcome

• PipPipPip
  • 640 posts
Did you try installing something new recently (hardware or software)? First I'd start with getting rid of that exclamation point in Device Manager. It might need an upgrade, or the driver got corrupted. This sometimes can be fixed by right-clicking the item and choosing uninstall, then restarting your computer where it should reinstall it automatically. Try that.

If not, you can download the drivers from your computer manufacturers website, but for me to help you with that, I'll need some computer specifications. Could you round some of those up for me? :)

Since in safe mode (which runs with the bare necessities only) it is probably software that is causing your PC to be slow, either updates or programs you installed. I can try to help you figure out what the problems are, but first lets get that driver fixed. Also, go to Control Panel > Security > Updates and check for any. I'm guessing here, but if you have Vista Service Pack 1, sometimes upgrading to SP2 will fix your problems. But then again, it is Vista, and then again it is Microsoft. :)

Other things can make your computer slow.. malware for one.. but let's take this one at a time.

Best Regards,

-Jason

Sheena Leigh

Sheena Leigh

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I haven't installed anything new lately. And I am pretty sure it's not malware or spyware since I have ran both MBAM and Spybot repeatedly and both came up clean. Also, how do I get computer specifications for you to clear up the yellow ! I have? Preferabbly without upgrading to sp 2 since I heard it was horrible. And as for updates, the only one I have showing up is an update to SP 2 that I keep ignoring.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Go to
Start and then to Run
Type in Chkdsk /r Note the space between k and /
Click Enter ...It will probably ask if you want to do this on the next reboot...click Y
If the window doesn't shutdown on its own then reboot the system manually. On reboot the system will start the chkdsk operation
This one will take longer then chkdsk /f

Note... there are 5 stages...
It may appear to hang at a certain percent for a hour or more or even back up and go over the same area...this is normal...
DO NOT SHUT YOUR COMPUTER DOWN WHILE CHKDSK IS RUNNING OR YOU CAN HAVE SEVERE PROBLEMS
This can take several hours to complete.
When completed it will boot the system back into windows.

Let me know if this fixes the problem

Please Go to
1: STARTand the click on RUN
2: Type in devmgmt.msc
3: Click Enter

To do a screenshot please have click on your Print Screen on your keyboard. It is normally the key above your number pad between the F12 key and the Scroll Lock key
Now go to Start and then to All Programs
Scroll to Accessories and then click on Paint
In the Empty White Area click and hold the CTRL key and then click the V
Go to the File option at the top and click on Save as
Save as file type JPEG and save it to your Desktop

Attach it to your next reply

Arsene=)

Arsene=)

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I got 100000% the same problem as you do!
Right now im running safe mode whit network and looked at the task manager and on the performance monitor on my logitech G15.
If im running at normal mode my CPU Usage is always under 05% it can't go higher, its like something that blocks you using your CPU more then 05%.
When i run on safe mode whit network i get a normal function like 40% and 100% when im opening a software CPU usage and its running fast like normally.
Btw, have you tried what rsshaffer61 said?
Im going to try it out :)! It looks that he has the right answer.~
~Arsene

Arsene=)

Arsene=)

• Pip
  • 2 posts
still very slow!
i got one question for Sheena Leigh.
What is your CPU?

Edited by Arsene=), 11 August 2010 - 06:44 PM.