Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How to instore window XP

• Please log in to reply

axjuelluo

axjuelluo

• Pip
  • 2 posts
hello,

i just bought a new laptop but need to instore the windows by myself.i usually format my laptop but the way to instore the windows is really confusing because the hardisk partitions is unclear for me.I need to know how to divide the partitions.my new hardisk have 160GB,how many partitions can i divide??? can you help me!!!

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
It seems you do not use the english language a lot, so what i think you are saying is to RESTORE your computer. Since this is a laptop , it usually has a RESTORE Partition on the hard drive. This is usually a 10 gig "D" partition.So most likely you have around a 138 Gig "C" drive and a 10 Gig "D" drive( restore partition).The reason you do not have a true 160 Gig hard drive is because Microsoft chose to use the binary size system in windows, which is 1024 bytes in a Kilobyte. Hard Drive makers use the numerical system which is 1000 bytes for each kilobytre. You also lose a small amount of area due to the formatting needed for the computer to read the drive.

Although you can have many partitions( limited by the alphabet letters)it is easist to keep it down to 2 to 4 partitions. On most computers i build i make a "Norton ghost" restore disk and do not use a partition to keep a restore on. So i usually divide my drives into 2 or 3 partitions.

I divide the drive like this:
"C" drive of 100 gig's for Windows and Programs
"D" drive for All data and Pictures
This way if i need to restore my system i do not have to reinstall all my data again. Even tho i do backup all my data to DVD's i do not lose any data with a reinstall of the system.

On your system i would do the same setup as i did my Acer Laptop. A 30 gig "C" drive for the OS and programs. and a 120 Gig "D" partition For everything else. Buy a good program like Ghost or Acronis True Image to make your self a Restore Disk. This way you will not have to reinstall the software you put on the computer. You just need to make the Restore Image after all software is installed on the computer. The reason for the smaller "C" drive is because i do not want to install a lot of software on my laptop since i have Desktop computers at home for all the software i like to try out. Unlike desktop computers you do not usually change the hardware much on a laptop and usually you do not add a lot of software to it, so the windows partition can be made smaller.

CAUTION

When i decided to change my partitions on my acer laptop i had to order a Operating System CD from Acer, then proceeded to wipe the drive so i could repartition it to my liking. From the factory Acer puts on a 74 gig "C" partition and a 74 Gig "D" data partition. I wanted to change this to a 30 Gig "C" drive and a 120 Gig "D" drive. I am lucky that i build computers since the restore DVD did not work after i repartitioned the drive. SO i used a OEM Windows Vista DVD and redownloaded the system drivers from the Acer website.

I have a Media server that has 3 partitions with one "C" windows 60 gig partition, then a 300 gig Data "D" partition, and a 640 gig Movie "E" partition( all on a terrabyte drive).I am thinking about add another Terrabyte drive for more movies.

SRX660

Edited by SRX660, 31 January 2010 - 06:49 AM.