Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Data Recovery After Virus

• Please log in to reply

Dazey

Dazey

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I'm not sure if this is the right forum, but here goes.

This all started with the Service tool virus. Spybot recognized it. But when I rebooted, I couldn't log in to any of the user accounts. It would almost take me to the desktop, and then log me out again. I noticed that beside the shut down button there was the phrase, " Shut down and let's have some fun." Because of this phrase on the login screen, I am certain this is part of the service tool virus or a new virus altogether. I couldn't get into safe mode, I didn't want to reformat and reinstall because I have files and documents that I need on the computer, so I ran HP's recovery option that would reinstall the system and original software, but would not affect user created documents.

When I rebooted, all the documents that I had saved on the desktop and in the user documents folders were gone. Some documents saved in the applications folders are still there. Also software that I had installed previously was still there too. This was definately not a clean reformated install, so I don't think this is an hp goof up.

I ran a freeware file recovery utility named recova, or something, and it found only files that I had previously deleted, some that were several years old. Nothing that was saved and active before the invection is showing up at all. This is really odd to me.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to recover these documents and files? Hopefully freeware? I'm reluctant to spend any money on this, because I don't want to waste it. I haven't had much luck in the past recovering lost data. Yes, I must admit, this is not my first encounter with a virus that wipes files away.

Advertisements

Dazey

Dazey

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I figured it out for whoever wants to know! The files had been changed to hidden and read only. The data recovery software didn't find them because they had never been deleted in the first place. Now I know why I haven't had much luck with data recovery software after a virus.

Also, the virus is actually the personal security virus. I was very tired last night. In fact I named myself Dazy because I felt so dazed and confused.

I hope this helps anyone who also thinks that a virus has deleted their files.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Thanks for sharing your experience and results.