Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can I Mix Install Both PC2-5300 & PC2-6400 RAM In The Same Compute

• Please log in to reply

Webslinger64

Webslinger64

• PipPipPip
  • 567 posts
Hey all,

My wife currently has 1GB RAM in her Pentium D computer. I am interested in maxing out the RAM for her, but have questions as to the type of RAM I can install. I used Crucial scan to determine that I can expand her from the Current 1GB to a max of 4GB. There are 4 slots and she currently has two 512MB sticks in place. According to Crucial, both PC2-5300 and PC2-6400 RAM is compatible.
I have two sticks of PC2-5300 already and found somebody locally that will sell me two sticks of PC2-6400. I'm just not sure it's a good idea to mix them. Is it important to keep all RAM installed at either PC2-5300 or PC2-6400?
Also, I might only be able to buy one stick of PC2-6400 from this guy. If so, can I install two sticks PC2-5300, one stick PC2-6400 and leave one of the 512MB sticks in the fourth slot?

Thanks,

Greg

Advertisements

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
If the computer is a 32 bit OS, all you will see/ use is about 3.5gb. I am sure you saw that warning on Crucial's site.

The PC2-6400 RAM is a little faster than The PC2-5300.
If you have both, the the PC2-6400 will be backed down to the slower speed. I doubt you will notice that.

Generally using a 1gb and 512mb should not be a issue as long as the timings are correct. You already have Crucials's recommendation for the suggested ram.

Webslinger64

Webslinger64

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 567 posts

If the computer is a 32 bit OS, all you will see/ use is about 3.5gb. I am sure you saw that warning on Crucial's site.

The PC2-6400 RAM is a little faster than The PC2-5300.
If you have both, the the PC2-6400 will be backed down to the slower speed. I doubt you will notice that.

Generally using a 1gb and 512mb should not be a issue as long as the timings are correct. You already have Crucials's recommendation for the suggested ram.

Right on. Thanks for the explanation. I do appreciate it.