How to install a hard drive
Posted 31 January 2010 - 12:46 PM
Posted 31 January 2010 - 12:56 PM
Posted 01 February 2010 - 10:56 AM
Posted 01 February 2010 - 01:21 PM
sometimes you can run a repair installation on the XP system to get it to work (basically removes all the drivers and puts new ones in as well as replacing windows system files), but sometimes this doesn't work and your only choice is to format and start over
Repair the Windows XP installation.
To do this, follow these steps:
- Make sure that the CD-ROM or DVD-ROM drive is the first priority startup device.
See your computer documentation for information about how to do this.
- Insert the Windows XP CD into the CD-ROM or DVD-ROM drive, and then restart your computer.
- When the instruction to "Press any key to boot from CD" appears, press a key. Your computer starts from the Windows XP CD.
- When the computer starts from the CD, the system verifies your hardware, and then prompts you to select one of the following options:
- To set up Windows XP now, press ENTER
- To repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console, press R.
- To quit Setup without installing Windows XP, press F3.
- Press ENTER.
- Press F8 to accept the Licensing Agreement.
- A box lists your current Windows XP installation, and then the computer prompts you to select one of the following options:
- To repair the selected Windows XP installation, press R.
- To continue installing a fresh copy of Windows XP without repairing, press ESC.
- Press R.
You'll get to keep your existing apps & settings, but you need to re-install SP2, Windows Updates & any unsigned drivers afterwards.
NOTE: Be aware that you'll lose any protection from Blaster / Sasser type worms. Don't go online without a firewall, whether the built in Windows one or 3rd party.
How to Perform A Re-Install Of XP.
Posted 01 February 2010 - 02:12 PM
Thanks to dsenette for a more thorough explanation.
0 user(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users