Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Memory compatiblility with GA-MA790XT-UD4P mainboard.

• Please log in to reply

Ste

Ste

• PipPipPip
  • 240 posts
Hi, Because of the need to upgrade I have recently put a new system together except for the memory. I am finding this a bit confusing. Any advice/opinions would be much appreciated.

The system specs are:- Main board-‘GA-MA790XT-UD4P’. CPU:- ‘AMD Phenom 2 965X4 3.4GHz (Skt AMD Black Ed. 125v)’. Don’t know if the graphics card is relevant but it is a:- ‘2GB XFX nVIDIA GeForce GTS 250 SLI 1GB’

I originally hoped to put 4X4GB sticks in one at a time as I could afford to but from what I have found the prices of a 4GB stick seems very expensive and out of proportion compared to 2X2GB sticks which I now consider my first option.

The other option is to get 3X2GB sticks (if the price is right) and I have found this at Amazon for 6GB kit (OCZ OCZ3G1600LV6GK DDR3 PC3-12800 Gold Triple Channel) price£97. I nearly bought this but I gather this memory is not able to make use of the auto memory profile ability of the MB and as I am not into messing with the memory settings I really would like this function though if you think it is not that important please tell me why.
I am hoping to get the system up and running soon. Thanks :) .

Advertisements

cbarnard

cbarnard

• PipPipPip
  • 755 posts
:)

Well its a good thing you asked your question before you purchased the OCZ Ram

The motherboard you have supports dual channel ram

The 3x2gb ram is triple channel ram for a coreI7 build

This Corsair ram --->> HERE is the type you are looking for.

Now you could purchase 2 of these kits and you could still attain 8gb. for a much cheaper price.

If you are not overclocking you should be able to operate this at right about the advertised speeds without a problem.

Hope this helps good luck

Ste

Ste

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts
Thanks for your response. Sorry I have been a while with mine but I don't seem to be receiving the notifications, thought I had set it.
I did find out I was on the wrong track with the triple channel memory.
After a frustrating search, I have ordered '4GB G.Skill DDR3 PC3-12800 1600MHz NQ Series (9-9-9-24) Dual Channel kit (£91.90)' to start with.
I hope it compares with the Corsair though I know that is supposed to be good.I would be interested what you think....

cbarnard

cbarnard

• PipPipPip
  • 755 posts
Hi,

I personally love Corsair if I ever have a problem with their products they always take care of me... I almost always build using primarily their products...

I have never personally used G skill but it is my understanding they are good.

You should be happy with that purchase...

Good luck