Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Intermittent problems starting Win98

• Please log in to reply

alliwant45

alliwant45

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Sometimes, Win 98 will start just fine. Other times, after Autoexec.bat is run and the PATH is set, either the POST will begin again or OS loading will stop and <ctrl-alt-delete> will show that an exception has been logged. Every time I have been able to see the exception, the text includes:

"Exception 0E at 0028:C00144A7 in VxD--- called from 0028:C0126DD0 in VxD ---. It may be possible to proceed normally..."

but usually, it isn't and I have to restart the boot process. This problem started about the time I updated the java runtime environment to v 1.5.0. I put JRE 1.4.2 on as part of an install that I had to scrap (jedit).

As far as unwanted guests on my system, I have AVG and Ad-Aware SE Plus, both scrupulously updated. Therefore, my suspicions are more towards corruption than infection.

alliwant45

update-I found out about 3 wks after posting that the floppy drive in the affected machine had failed, after a few intermittent malfunctions. I replaced the floppy drive and had no more problems. I also repartitioned and reformatted, and installed win2k with no further problems. My best guess is that the ailing floppy drive might have been the culprit. This is all something of a relief, as my Web connection was through the affected machine. Now my communications are via a machine that run smoothly, enhancing my peace of mind.

Edited by alliwant45, 10 June 2005 - 08:30 PM.

Advertisements