Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Asus M3A mobo

• Please log in to reply

wornbuffet

wornbuffet

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi

I have a PC that's just under 2 years old. It's specs are as follows:

AMD ATHLON™ 64 X2 6400+ (3.2GHz) 2 x 1MB L2 Cache (Socket AM2)
4GB CORSAIR DDR2 667MHz (2 x 2GB)
ASUS M3A: AM2+, DUAL DDR II, S-ATA II, 3 PCI, 2 PCI-E
Windows Vista 64 bit
160GB SERIAL ATA II HARD DRIVE WITH 8MB CACHE
20x Dual Layer LightScribe DVD Writer ±R/±RW/RAM
512MB RADEON HD 3870 PCI Express + DVI
8 Channel Realtek ALC883 High Definition Audio
3 PORT IEEE 1394a FIREWIRE PCI CARD
500W (Peak) Quiet Dual Rail PSU + 120mm Case Fan

For the past few weeks, whilst playing World of Warcraft, I was experiencing more and more total system freezes, resulting in me having to switch off and reboot on the tower, or sometimes a BSOD, informing me there had been a serious hardware failure, and giving error code:

STOP: 0x00000124 (0x0000000000000000, 0x000008006BAF030, 0x00000000B655C000, 0x0000000000000135)

These crashes became more and more frequent. Finally, after experiencing three in 10 minutes, I swicthed off the PC, and removed the RAM and gfx card for a dust etc. On putting them all back in, the PC refuses to boot up. There are no beeps at all. The green light is on the mobo, all the fans start to whirr, but there's nothing.

I'm able to open and close the DVD tray. I've tried resitting the RAM and gfx card. On disabling the HDD, I still get no beeps.

When I remove the gfx card and RAM, I get 1 long, then 2 short beeps. On putting the RAM back in, but leaving the gfx card out, I get the same beeps.

I have just borrowed a friend's graphics card, but when inserted I get no beeps at all. I should add, that my gfx card works fine in my friend's PC.

Do you have any idea what i can try next or what may be wrong? This is about as technical as I've ever got (and am!), so I will try and understand anything you may say!

Many thanks.

Advertisements