Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Full registry

• Please log in to reply

Alkas

Alkas

• Pip
  • 3 posts
My computers filled its Registry twice now, resulting in a Bsod next boot up, I've restored it (Again.) However I'm just as sure it's going to happen again as the sun will rise tomorrow.

I would of flatlined the hard drive and reinstalled XP from scratch however I don't have the disks to do so, so I'm pretty much forced to attempt to fix the problem.

How would I go about finding out where the issue is coming from on an XP Machine? Can provide more information should it be required.

I should note that this is over a time period of a week give or take a few days that it's filling the registry.

Edited by Alkas, 02 February 2010 - 02:27 PM.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
um...the registry is a database/list of configurations, you can't "fill it up". what exactly is the problem? what error messages are you getting?

Alkas

Alkas

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Said that windows is ignoring requests to allocate more memory to the registry. If I remember correctly.

Every time I boot after that, it Bsods reliably every time.

I'm trying to figure out how to call up the last Bsod message. I've reformatted the non backup partition since though, so that may not let me catch it.

I'm going to have to wait for a while to get the error as I've just reformatted the partition about 2 hours ago though. It takes a while to do that.

Edited by Alkas, 02 February 2010 - 02:57 PM.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
XP doesn't have a registry size limit...windows 2000 and older did..did you upgrade from 2000 or is this a clean install of XP?

Alkas

Alkas

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Emachines which came with XP. The install is from the backup partition which hasn't been messed around with since I've gotten it.

Basically it's the original factory install of XP. So it's probably not an upgrade install I would assume.

~ Rather it's a Copy of the original factory install.

Edited by Alkas, 02 February 2010 - 03:10 PM.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
as would i

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts

Said that windows is ignoring requests to allocate more memory to the registry. If I remember correctly.

Without a more descriptive error, we can only guess.

Not enough ram/memory.
A bad ram stick.

How much memory do you have? (windows logo key, right click my computer, click on properties)