Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Unable to Defrag or CHKDSK in XP

• Please log in to reply

Taff2493

Taff2493

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Hello all,
Firstly I hope I have entered this in the correct section :)
I have been reading several articals already in the forums of Geeks to Go,I have done some of the suggestions mentioned, such as running chkdsk /r and checked the RAM using Memtest86 and one or two others, If I explain then perhaps everyone will have a better idea of what is going on with my PC.
Every time I try to run chkdsk in windows it speeds through until it reaches 74% of phase 1, even if I try to use Error-checking, that too will only go to 3/4 along the bar ( Im guessing that is about 75% Too) and it will go no further,and I have left both of these run over night for more than 12 hours, also when I do try and run either chkdsk or error checking, besides the programmes hanging/not responding, I am unable to use my pc and I have to do what I beleive is called a hard shutdown ? not sure what you would call it exactly but it means in order for me to use my pc I must switch off and start again.
This is true even if I don't run chkdsk etc, and just leave my pc on for any period of time 10 min or so without doing any work on it, I am unable again to use my pc and shut down again.
Last night I left the chkdsk /r run over night and it said basicly found faults and corrected them, but when I tried again this morning to run chkdsk on both windows and in boot it still freezes.
I understand that you guys like to see what you are dealing with, computer info etc which is why I am looking through your forums to try and find out what I need to do to be able to show you my pc details, OS,RAM etc.
I have come to my wits end,I have tried over and over to solove this issue, can anyone please help :)
Thank you.
As stated earlier I have been looking at trying to get some of my PC details on here so you guys can see my system, I went through some forums and found some programmes to help me, I hope these are of use in helping me get my problem sorted, if I need other programmes or info, can someone point me in the right direction.

Attached Thumbnails

• Audit_Overview.JPG
  • CPU.JPG
  • cache.JPG
  • HD_Tune_Benchmark.JPG
  • Mainboard.JPG

Edited by Taff2493, 04 February 2010 - 08:04 AM.

Advertisements

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Hi Taff2493 :)

I am not at my main computer, so I can't give you real detailed instructions, but will explain a few things based on what you describe.

If chkdsk is finding errors, it needs to repair those errors. You may have a hard drive failing is also why you have some of those errors.

Defrag requires that you have a minimum of 15% free hard drive space in order to run. If the drive has errors, that could also be interfering.

If you know the hard drive manufacturer, then we can use their diagnostics to check the hard drive (link is in my signature).
If you do not know the manufacturer, we have programs we can run to get that.

I should will be back on later today.
I am sure others will respond.

123runner

Taff2493

Taff2493

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Here are some more screen shots, I hope they are what I need to show you guys.

Attached Thumbnails

• Memory.JPG
  • SPD.JPG
  • SiSoftware_Sandra_PC_Overview_1st_Pt.JPG
  • SiSoftware_Sandra_PC_Overview_2nd_Pt.JPG

Edited by Taff2493, 04 February 2010 - 08:18 AM.

Taff2493

Taff2493

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Thanks for that 123Runner, all help and advise is greatly appreciated, as I hope you will see I have plenty of space, I just bought a 1 TB HDD less than 1 year ago and I have 2x 250GB HDD which when I hopefully get things sorted I want to use as my media files back up Jpeg Etc as I had a HDD (Seagate) 500GB before the 1 TB and after 3 months it crashed and burned and at that point I lost everything, so I am also trying to learn how to back things up too.

Attached Thumbnails

• SiSoftware_Sandra_Operating_system_overview_1st_Pt.JPG
  • SiSoftware_Sandra_Operating_system_overview_2nd_Pt.JPG

Taff2493

Taff2493

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
123Runner, 10/10 Thank you very much, I just finished running the HDD repair tool you directed me to, and after doing it's job everything is A OK. :) :) :)