Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

I want to build a computer

• Please log in to reply

SpaceInvader75

SpaceInvader75

• PipPip
  • 45 posts
You can build an i7 system for his price range?

I just quickly checked a price on an i7 and the most popular one I found is $288.99.

Intell Core i7-920

So if the total computer was going to be $750 that would over 1/3 of it just for the CPU and you still have to buy everything else.

Here's another Radeon Card that got very good ratings, a little more expensive, but if you're spending around $700 and you will be playing games, this isn't too bad of a a price, in my opinion: Radeon HD 4870

Edited by SpaceInvader75, 11 February 2010 - 08:49 PM.

Advertisements

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts

in my opinion: Radeon HD 4870

That's the card I wanted to suggest, but didn't suggest it because of the budget... I was already over $20 or so!!! :)

You can build an i7 system for his price range?

I think he may have missed what budget we were working with. You can't build an i7 on $650-$700 budget, especially if you're looking to add it with a nice video card.

Edited by Ferrari, 11 February 2010 - 08:48 PM.

SpaceInvader75

SpaceInvader75

• PipPip
  • 45 posts
Right. I looked up the price and edited my post and then I noticed you replied.

I think it would not be beneficial to spend more money on the CPU and less on the graphics card (maybe for certain applications but not games, anyway).

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
:) 100%

SpaceInvader75

SpaceInvader75

• PipPip
  • 45 posts
After checking AMD CPUs again I found this one:

AMD Athlon II X4 620

Now, I realize it is not the newest CPU technology, but how would this compare to the i3 530 dual core in that suggested build (as it actually selling for less)?

It said socket AM3, so you should still be able to put a faster CPU in it if you go with a socket AM3 motherboard.

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
It's funny you mention that... the other "mock" build I put together for my girlfriend (which is probably what she's going with to save money) was a Athlon II x2 build, same concept as you just mentioned. However, if you were to spend the money on a Athlon II x4, you really get a lot more bang for your buck with the Phenom II x2 at the same price... only dual core vs. quad core, but a better CPU with L3 cache.

I'm really not as familiar with AMD as I'd like to be, but there is a very good argument to be made that on a budget, AMD has a lot to offer. If you can spend more, Intel's Core i series has amazing capabilities and I really think it's the way to go.

EDIT:

but how would this compare to the i3 530 dual core in that suggested build

Forgot to answer, like I said though, the Core i series are the much better CPU's, but for the money? hmmmm, don't really know. Some would say yes, some would say no.

Edited by Ferrari, 11 February 2010 - 09:13 PM.

SpaceInvader75

SpaceInvader75

• PipPip
  • 45 posts
So the Phenom II x2 is actually faster than the Athlon II x4?

(assuming the clock speed was the same)

Edited by SpaceInvader75, 11 February 2010 - 09:17 PM.

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts

So the Phenom II x2 is actually faster than the Athlon II x4?

The Phenom series is supposed to be their "better processor" but as I just mentioned, I don't know AMD as good as I'd like. I don't understand why in the heck! all the way up and down their line of processors, the specs are the same for the hyper transports... all of them say 4000. I know higher is better, but when looking at all the AMD processors we are talking about, the only thing that seems to change is the L2 or L3 cache.

The only reason I suspect the Phenom II x2 to be faster, is because it offers L3 cache, but everything else is the same.

SpaceInvader75

SpaceInvader75

• PipPip
  • 45 posts
I think I need to do some more research on AMD CPUs myself. I have read that AMD is very competitive in the price ranges we are talking about. That is why I am using AMD now, based on that advice: I bought a generic AMD based system for $400 because my budget was tight at the time. Then as soon as I could I upgraded the CPU to dual core (and I have about the fastest CPU my motherboard will use now).

So when I'm ready to replace my motherboard I will definitely be doing more CPU research. lol

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
I know what you mean... as we've been posting back and forth, I'm realizing how much I've been paying attention to Intel because of all their new processors, and really haven't properly researched AMD all that much. It's hard to compare them, because they use different terminology like Hyper Transports vs. FSB or QPI.

Toms Hardware is a great place to see charts and comparisons of all kinds of hardware, you should check it out.

Advertisements

mkau

mkau

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts
So is Intel or AMD a better option? It seems like Intel is.

Also, I don't need a GPU right now, I can get that later when I have more money.

Edited by mkau, 11 February 2010 - 09:40 PM.

SpaceInvader75

SpaceInvader75

• PipPip
  • 45 posts
Good suggestion. I just saw your post after I looked up some benchmarks.
Now, I know even the benchmarks can be different, so I need to check more of them, but according to the first one (this one is not on Tom's Hardware but I will look there) the Athlon 2 X4 620 is faster than even the Phenom 2 X3 720.

PassMark CPU Benchmarks

I have a question though. The original question was to compare this CPU to the i3 530 in the suggested system build, and I haven't seen it on the chart yet. Is it called something else or did I just miss it?

SpaceInvader75

SpaceInvader75

• PipPip
  • 45 posts
Well I think that depends on how much money you will be spending on the processor.
Also, you will be very limited in the games you can play without a video card.

Most motherboards do come with built in graphics, but about the best game I could play with my built in graphics was one I could have played on an original xbox console. lol
I'm sure there are better built in graphics now and it depends on the chip set(I bought mine a couple of yeas ago), but just so you know you will not have very good built in graphics capability ( I couldn't even play Halo 2 with my original setup)!

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
The i3 530 is by Clarksdale, so you pretty much have the name right. Look what I found on Toms Hardware, Best Gaming CPU's for the Money, January 10. Just keep clicking the "next" button towards the bottom of the page and you'll see what they say is the best processors for particular price ranges.

computer_geek

computer_geek

• PipPip
  • 50 posts
so yes i didnt see the price range but good luck cause u cant build a half decent system for 700 bucks u need to splurge a bit