Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

I want to build a computer

• Please log in to reply

SpaceInvader75

SpaceInvader75

• PipPip
  • 45 posts
Thanks Ferrari.

According to that article, if you are looking for the best gaming CPU in the $90-$100 range first place goes to the Athlon II X4 620. So, when considering the budget, it does look like a good choice to me.

And the core i3-530 only gets an honorable mention in the $110-$150 range because:

With the Athlon II X3 435 offering comparable performance at a $90 price point, and the Athlon II X4 620 providing a true quad-core option at $100, there's little benefit to be had from the following $110-$130 CPUs. However, these models can provide extra headroom for overclockers willing to massage them a bit. In addition, the new Clarkdale-based Core i3-530 is extremely promising from what we've seen.

In fact, according to the article the best gaming CPU for the money doesn't go to Intel until you reach the $195 price point of the Core i5-750.

Part of my advice is, if it's going to come down to that $100 towards a video card or a CPU, while you certainly can buy the graphics card later, you won't be able to play many games until you get the graphics card, so I would wait and upgrade the processor later, and spend that extra money on the graphics card so you can play more games now.

Otherwise, your system will certainly be faster, but I'm not convinced you will see enough benefit of the faster CPU to outweigh the fact that you will be limited to older games, for the most part.

Advertisements