Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

unexpected shutdown

• Please log in to reply

large jack

large jack

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hello

I'm new to this forum so pleased to meet you all.

My computer has recently started shutting down while playing games. For example Knights of the Old Republic 2, Rome Total War and Stronghold 2. This happens randomly but quite regularly and I have to keep saving my progress. Sometimes I get a bit of slowdown before it happens.

The main components are:
Athlon XP 2600 +
Radeon 9800 XT
About 750 MB of RAM
400 Watt Power supply

There are three main areas I suspect are wrong.
Firstly my CPU is running at over 4000 RPM but it is reaching temps in excess of 70 oC.
Secondly my power supply is fairly new and could be faulty. The system temp fan shows no RPM in BIOS although the fan is spinning at back of PSU. Is this normal?
Thirdly I've recently downloaded 5.4 catalyst drivers and I am not sure if there is a compatibility problem.

PLEASE NOTE THAT IT ONLY HAPPENS WHILE PLAYING GAMES.

At first I thought it was definitely the heat of the process but now I've read that it should be able to go up to 85 oC. The heat sink has lots of dust in it however.

Really, I just need help diagnosing the most likely problem to save money then I can deal with the problem from there. Secretly I'm hoping it is the PSU.

I hope this hasn't been too long winded and thanks for your time and help.

Regards

Edited by large jack, 18 May 2005 - 05:50 PM.

Advertisements

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
next time it happens, go to start, my computer, right click, manage and view the event log. Look for the red x at the time corresponding to the crash. Right click on it, properties and view the details of the cause. It may be somewhat cryptic, but you can send a report to M$ and view their knowledge base for additional insight into the cause.

NOC

NOC

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
How's your graphics card holding up? My first one had a bad fan and it caused my comp to shutdown often.

NOC

large jack

large jack

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I don't know. It seems to be ok, but how can I tell if vid card is working perfectly?

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts

Hello

There are three main areas I suspect are wrong.
Firstly my CPU is running at over 4000 RPM but it is reaching temps in excess of 70 oC.
Secondly my power supply is fairly new and could be faulty. The system temp fan shows no RPM in BIOS although the fan is spinning at back of PSU. Is this normal?
Thirdly I've recently downloaded 5.4 catalyst drivers and I am not sure if there is a compatibility problem.

PLEASE NOTE THAT IT ONLY HAPPENS WHILE PLAYING GAMES.

At first I thought it was definitely the heat of the process but now I've read that it should be able to go up to 85 oC. The heat sink has lots of dust in it however.
Regards

View Post

No matter what, you should be worried about the temp. You didn't mention how many fans you have running. Your BIOS settings may be causing the PC to shut down. Depends on what the temp limit is before shutdown. Regardless, I would check inside and do a thorough cleaning and try what I could to get the temp down. Running games is gonna definitely raise that temp and it sounds like you don't have much room to spare...temp wise.

Ron