Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Laptop freezes when trying to download HD video clips from SD card

• Please log in to reply

kettrinboy

kettrinboy

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi,i,m having problems when trying to download my 720p HD video clips from the SD card that i use in my Panasonic TZ7 Camera, i put the card into the card reader then bring up the SD card window and drag and drop the individual files to "my videos",on a file size of less than 100Mb it copies successfully but on bigger files of say 200 to 500Mb it will get about halfway and then just stop, the mouse stops working and the PC freezes, the only way out is the good old switch it off at the main switch and restart it again, i,m now wondering if my PC is up to the job , its an Acer Aspire 8735G with an Intel T6600 Core 2 Duo processor 2.2 Ghz, 800 mHZ FSB and 4 Gb of RAM,any way i try to copy the longer clips ie transferring the clips to a flash drive from the SD card then copying from that or trying to load them into Windows Live Gallery gets the same result,with the SD card connected i can view the longer clips ok but cant successfully copy them to the pc, anybody else had this issue?

Edited by kettrinboy, 06 February 2010 - 05:26 AM.

Advertisements

phillipcorcoran

phillipcorcoran

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts
I had this problem once and discovered (whilst trying to defrag)that the system hard drive was failing. The defrag wouldn't run any higher than 40% so I downloaded the disk-maker's own diagnostic utility. Sure enough the drive was "in danger of imminent failure". Since fitting a new drive I've been able to transfer very large files no problem.

I'm not suggesting you rush out and buy a new disk, but you should check it like I checked mine, if only to eliminate that as being a possible cause.