Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Replace my GPU?

• Please log in to reply

Dome

Dome

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
So my friend got a new video card, so he let me have his old one cause he knew i was using an onboard. The thing is, before i go and tinker with my computer, just how much of an upgrade is it?

I have a Radeon HD3300 Onboard my Mobo

I just received a Radeon HD4550

Now by natural assumption, i thought it would be a big upgrade, but as i learned online, the numbers have plenty of meanings. The only info i could find for comparison was on wikipedia, im not not sure what half of these things mean, me being Computer illiterate

I took some screenshots for the computer Literate to help me out ^_^

http://i266.photobuc...rilliteracy.png

Advertisements

mike4

mike4

• PipPipPip
  • 211 posts
I think the upgrade will make at least a noticeable difference. But how much memory is built into each? Please correct me if I am mistaken.

Dome

Dome

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
on the 4550 i plan on putting in, i looked it up, says 1gig, dxdiag says my current card has 2gig. How important is memory exactly?

Edited by Dome, 06 February 2010 - 11:01 PM.

mike4

mike4

• PipPipPip
  • 211 posts
i'm not exactly an expert on graphics cards, but i think your mobo says your onboard graphics has 2gb its not really 2gbs. Like I said i'm not that good, but i think it means its using "virtual" memory. The 4550 should be better and if I were in this situation I would put it in.

Dome

Dome

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
Thanks for the opinion, i did read something about it not having its own memory, Im going to put in the card later or tomorrow, ill see how much better it is

Dome

Dome

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
Well i replaced it and i am very happy, im gaining 20-30 FPS in most of my games, some games becoming playable when before they were not such as Resident Evil 5 or Halo 2.