Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

BSOD--Can't Reinstall XP?

• Please log in to reply

radjxf

radjxf

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
Stupid question: some of the drivers had up to 10 options. Some said "recommended" while others were optional. How do I know exactly which ones I need?

So far I've installed all of the "recommended" drivers. The audio drivers for some reason would not install. I still have 3 'question marks' that are unresolved, and still have to figure out how to get on the internet---doesn't work so far.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Recommended are the ones to get for sure. From there if there are no updates listed then Microsoft should have updates via windows updates.

DaffyKantReed

DaffyKantReed

• PipPipPip
  • 485 posts

After answering "retry" to those two errors, I'm now sitting at the desktop screen.

I'm going to suggest you run Memtest to test your RAM, even though the OS is kind of up and running. In the instances where I've seen Windows installation errors like you have, the problem was RAM, not the CD/DVD install media.

Simply unzip then burn the ISO to a CD as you did with Puppy Linux.

http://www.memtest.o...6 -4.00.iso.zip

radjxf

radjxf

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
OK, I've got her up and running.

I got the network drivers figured out, can access the 'net, have Service Pack 3 installed etc.

The only problem left is no sound.

There's a yellow question mark next to Multimedia Audio Controller under device manager.

If I try and search and install the driver, I receive the error: Cannot Install This Hardware. The hardware was not installed because the wizard cannot find the necessary software.

I tried downloading and installing the audio driver from Dell's website specific to my service tag, but I can't open the file once it's downloaded. Says "windows cannot open this file".

Any ideas?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Give me the model number of your system again. I will try to find the drivers somewhere else.

radjxf

radjxf

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Give me the model number of your system again. I will try to find the drivers somewhere else.

It's a Dell Dimension 2350 desktop. Service tag 99BL821.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK try this, Go to Device Manger.
Uninstall the Sound driver that has the yellow exclamation mark.
Reboot and when it asks for the driver point it to where you saved it to.