Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

installing adobe flash player 10

• Please log in to reply

SueJohnston

SueJohnston

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi,
I have been working all weekend trying to upgrade my adobe flash player to the 10 version. I am in school online and am not able to view my lectures because Ican't get this upgrade. I have uninstalled the old version, rebooted the computer, downloaded the new version. No go. I then found on the site where it said I needed to download an ACTIVE X and a Plug-in. I again uninstalled with the software from the adobesite. Installed the two files above, reinstalled version 10 and still nothing. I have done this more times than I can count and CAN NOT GET IT TO WORK. Please help. I have been using the instructions on the adobe site. :)

SueJohnston

Advertisements

phillipcorcoran

phillipcorcoran

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts
Welcome to Geeks To Go!

Internet Explorer uses the 'ActiveX' version of Adobe Flash Player, whereas Firefox uses the plug-in version.

http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/

To install it for Internet Explorer, go to the Flash Player download page above using Internet Explorer and the site will automatically detect that you need the ActiveX version, click the download link. A warning bar may appear at the top of Internet Explorer window, left-click on this bar and choose "install ActiveX control". You should shortly see the Adobe web page maessage "Installed Successfully"

To install for Firefox, go to the same website but this time using Firefox. Click the download link. This will be a plug-in that you have to download. When downloaded, close Firefox, run the file you just downloaded.

When updating Flash Player in future, there is no need to remove the existing version unless advised to do so by Adobe's technical support because of a problem.

Edited by phillipcorcoran, 08 February 2010 - 07:49 AM.

SueJohnston

SueJohnston

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I was able to add and view with Firefox but have still NOT been able to get downloaded on Internet explorer. I sat on hold with Adobe Tech support for 50 minutes tonight and no one ever came on the line. If you have any other ideas for Internet explorer I am all ears and fingers....
Sue

phillipcorcoran

phillipcorcoran

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts
I'm glad you at least got Flash working in Firefox, but if Adobe's 'geek-heads' can't get it sorted in IE I don't think my contributions are going to help much other than the advice I already gave you.

I would stick with Firefox and leave IE unused. Firefox is safer anyway.
Or you may want to try updating IE to the latest version (IE8) and then try installing Flash Player on it as per my instructions above.