Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Network Workgroup Problems

• Please log in to reply

jc29ems

jc29ems

• PipPip
  • 37 posts
Hello All, I have a small network made up of 3 computers and am having some issues accessing the other computer from each other. I tried to go through the networking troubleshooting and still have had no luck. I was hoping someone with a little more experience would be able to help me out.

Computer #1 I am able to ping all computer the router by IP Address and not by name. I am able to ping #1 by its name. I also can see all computers in my workgroup. When I try to access another computer in the workgroup I get "You might not have permission to use this network resource."

Computer #2 I am able to ping all computers by user name and IP Address. I also can see all computers in my workgroup. When I try to access another computer in the workgroup I get "You might not have permission to use this network resource."

Computer #3 I am able to ping all computers and the router by IP Address but not by name. I am able to ping #3 by its name. I am not able to see any computers in the workgroup, including the computer #3. I get a message that says "___ is not accessible…”

Computer #3 is wireless. Everything else is hardwired.

Thanks in advance for the help...

Advertisements

Mark D

Mark D

• PipPipPip
  • 341 posts
Howszit jc29ems? Sorry to hear that your systems are "network challenged".

1st - are all these systems using the same op system? Same level of Service Pack?
2nd - have you shared any folders?
3rd - What switch or router connects these systems?

Your answers will determine where to go next. Don't worry about not being able to Ping workstation names. try to Search for the computers instead...

Hope this helps..

jc29ems

jc29ems

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
Sorry for the delay in writing. I hope you are still able to help me.

All computers are running Windows XP Pro. Should all be to the most recent windows SP.
Shared folders I am currently using is the standard windows shared documents
Router is a Linksys WRT54G2

Hope thats a start.

Mark D

Mark D

• PipPipPip
  • 341 posts
I just had a case where I could not create a network association because one of systems had its firewall turned off. All attempts to create the connection failed until I enabled the firewall on the one system, then networking worked as it should. because in this case, that one system HAD to have the firewall off to allow a shared medical program, I had to disable it after the network connections I needed were established. The network then stayed stable and folders and printer shares were also stable.

Check the firewall on all three systems and make sure they're all on.

Hope this helps..