Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Building a gaming rig - some advice please

• Please log in to reply

MichaelsTheory

MichaelsTheory

• PipPip
  • 35 posts
Hello Peeps!

I utilized these forums about 4 years ago with my first gaming rig and it was a huge success. I'm hoping for a repeat performance this time around. My ultimate goal is to build a gaming rig that is powerful enough to do Ultra Graphics settings modern games, video editing, and office applications without breaking a sweat. It will be pushing 3 lcd screens (2x samsung 22", and a yet-to-be purchased larger high def screen). It will need some home theatre-ish capabilities such as a bluray player, surround sound, etc..

Let me start by saying that I already have some components of this system.

I currently have:
  • Windows 7 64 bit operating system
  • 2x samsung 22" widescreen lcd monitors
  • logitech keyboard
  • logitech mouse

I can probably use some of the parts that my current system has in it:
  • seagate barracuda 7200rpm 500gb sata hdd
  • silverstone 800w modular power supply
  • Pioneer 18x dvdr burner
  • Tuniq tower 120 p4 cpu cooler

Those are the only things i can think could possibly be useful in the new build, if any at all.

Budget:

I have around 2500 usd to work with. I can go a little higher or lower if need be.

I have about a month to do research and talk to you guys before I have to order the parts. In my web browsing I came accross what looks to be a semi-current build for a modern gaming rig and am curious what you guys think of it.

* CPU: Intel Core i7 920 Nehalem 2.66GHz LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor Model BX80601920 - Retail
* MOBO: ASUS P6X58D Premium LGA 1366 Intel X58 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail
* RAM: G.SKILL PI Series 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL7T-6GBPI - Retail
* HSF: XIGMATEK Intel Core i7 compatible Dark Knight-S1283V 120mm Long Life Bearing CPU Cooler - Retail
* SSD: Intel X25-M Mainstream SSDSA2MH080G2XXX 2.5" 80GB SATA II MLC Internal Solid state disk (SSD) - OEM
* HDD: SAMUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive - OEM
* GPU: SAPPHIRE 100280OCSR Radeon HD 5970 (Hemlock) 2GB 512 (256 x 2)-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported ... - Retail
* PSU: Antec CP-850 850W Continuous Power CPX SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Modular Active PFC "compatible with ... - Retail
* DVD: Sony Optiarc 24X DVD/CD Rewritable Drive Black SATA Model AD-7240S-0B - OEM
* Case: Antec Twelve Hundred Black Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case - Retail
* Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound - OEM

Total = approx 2100.00

My specific questions would be:

Would my current 800w modular power supply be able to power this rig without sweating too much?

Will that single 5970 be able to run 3 monitors, (including 2 different resolutions), without a hiccup or should i add a second one for crossfire?

Will the massive size of the Antec 1200 require me to purchase any extension cables? If so can you guess what i would need?

I assume that my operating system would be installed on the SSD and most of my junk on the hdd?

Can you see any issues with compatability/performance or have any suggestions where i may improve the performace of this build without going too far over budget?

Advertisements

MichaelsTheory

MichaelsTheory

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
Someone just told me that the 5970 wouldn't fit inside the Antec 1200, is this true?

I was also told that for better performance all around and for running 3 monitors, i'd be better suited to get 2 or 3 5870s instead?