Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer problems

• Please log in to reply

ClaireHeidi

ClaireHeidi

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi

I have a HP Pavillion dv1000 laptop and have Windows Xp. It has been working relatively fine(except the fact that it overheats sometimes but then I usually shutdown my computer either by going to the start menu and following the procedure of shutting down the computer or I will put my computer on standby or I will just directly press the power button on my laptop and then it will be cooled down and works fine). My problem is that on Saturday I was using my laptop, running the internet and some microsoft word documents. Well I wanted to close some word documents however they wouldn't close(usually if upon closing a document or my internet browser sometimes my computer will freeze and will open a new window saying that ''this program is not responding would you like to end now'' and I would press end now and then after a few minutes the program(s) would close and everything would work fine. However they wouldn't close on Saturday and my windows task manager wouldn't open when I tried(and it alwayss works). So I put my computer in stand by( the Word documents that could not be closed were still open and my internet browser was still open when I put my laptop into standby). But...instead of going into standby my computer's fans began making a rushing sound like as if they were working too much or overheating(sorry about the vocab I am not very good at computers). So I decided to shutdown my computer by holding down the power button and the computer closed. Then after 2 hours or so I press the power button to restart my computer and I got the regular windows xp loading screen buttttt then all I see is a blank blue wallpaper without any desktop items or start menu or anything! I only have a blue blank wallpaper and my mouse cursor. Please if anyone knows anything please help me

P.S. If anyone knows a way to fix this problem without having to reformat the whole computer(because I have important files that I can not afford to lose) that would be much appreciated!

Thanks

Advertisements

mkau

mkau

• PipPipPip
  • 227 posts
First of all, your computer is running way too hot.
My advice would be to open it up (usually there's an access panel that comes off) and use a can of compressed air to clean it out. This is usually overlooked by most people, myself included.
Second, open task manager and click File-> Run (New Process) and type explorer into the box that comes up. That should get your desktop up.

Edited by mkau, 08 February 2010 - 07:51 PM.