Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Random Shut Downs Since Repair

• Please log in to reply

ButtScabs

ButtScabs

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi,I'm having an interesting problem and in need of some assistance... Recently my computer went down and I've been jumping through all the warranty hoops trying to get all my parts replaced, finally I'm done with that today, but a new problem arises...

I received my brand new CPU today and was excited to install it so I can have my computer back up and running, I installed the new CPU and Heatsink/fan, got everything else in order and started it up... happy to see that it was finally loading windows again, it gets to my user selection screen and I turn around to answer the phone, when I turn back around my computer is off... when I tried to start it back up again I get no power, so I hit the Kill switch [I/O] wait for a few minutes and try again, still nothing... after an hour or so I finally got it to start back up, only to have the random shut down happen again after about 4-5 minutes... having had recent problems answered here I jump on my laptop and head here for answers, after reading through most of the similar problems I haven't really found any answers in them.

I monitored the temp of the CPU at 54 degrees Celsius which is oddly the same that my last CPU would run just fine at, I've upgraded my cooling system a good bit and still have it running at that temperature... the CPU is an Intel Core 2Quad Q8400, from what I know about the hardware (which isn't too much) I've come to 3 possible conclusions, Overheating, Power supply issues (not likely considering this new processor uses less power from what the reviews say) or some type of software/drivers issue.

Keep in mind these are new parts (Mother Board / CPU / Heatsink/fan)so I cant say that this computer has had a history of problems.

Any help would be GREATLY Appreciated on this subject, thank you (sorry its so long winded)

some other specs in case they are relevant
4x 2gb ddr3 Crucial RAM
1gb Nvidia GeForce graphics card
750GB Sata HDD
450W Power Supply
Intel Desktop Board DG35EC MotherBoard (New, replacement of exact same MB)
CPU Intel Core 2Quad Q8400 LGA775 (New, upgrade from last CPU which was the Intel Core 2Quad Q6600)

Again sorry its long-winded But thank you so much for taking the time to read and hopefully lend some assistance.

-B

Advertisements