Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

No Hard Drives Being Recognized

• Please log in to reply

dariusb

dariusb

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Hi, I'm having a couple hard drive problems. My computer recently wasn't able to turn on. I pressed the power button and was greeting with DISK BOOT FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER in the boot screen that lists all the PCI stuff. I shut it off and turned it on again, receiving the same message. I waited a while and the computer worked for about five minutes, booting to windows before turning itself back off. From then on every time I've turned on the computer the same error message comes up. I checked BIOS and all that BIOS was recognizing was the dvd drive in its master slot. No matter if I inserted the system repair disk, the windows disk, or even the hard drive disk, no hard drives are detected. The hard drive is SATA, by the way. I bought a new SATA hard drive to see if the hard drive had broken, but this new hard drive wasn't recognized either. I bought a new SATA connection cable, and still no detection for either hard drives. Is it a problem with my SATA controller? A problem with BIOS?

Thanks
Darius

Advertisements

dariusb

dariusb

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Ok so it turns out my SATA controller was what was the problem and I bought a PCI SATA Controller and BIOS under boot is detecting the hard drive. However, when I boot from the hard drive I get to the Windows did not turn off properly screen: start windows normally, start windows from safe mode, so on. When I try the various options the computer just reboots, however when I set my boot order to my optical drive first and put the driver cd in, which is I assume the problem (drivers not on the computer). I can open the driver setup but the only option I can select is to view serial numbers of the hard drives. Are the drivers really the problem? Is there any way to install the drivers without being in windows? Under the main BIOS tab so far my new PCI drive isn't showing up as another SATA for as I only have SATA 1, 2, 3, and 4 showing up.

Here's a bit of system information I forgot to include that might help:

Motherboard Info:
ASUSTeK Computer INC.
Model A8N-E
Version 2.XX
BIOS Vendor Phoenix Technologies, LTD
BIOS Version ASUS A8N-E ACPI BIOS Revision 1010
BIOS Release Date 11/25/2005
BIOS Properties Plug and Play, Flash
Hard Disk Drive 1/1:
Name NVIDIA JBOD 298.09G
Manufacturer (Standard disk drives)
Capacity 298.09
Model NVIDIA JBOD 298.09G
Interface Type SCSI

dariusb

dariusb

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Ok so I put in my windows XP disc in case the problem was with windows, hoping to select the repair windows option yet the windows setup detects no hard drives even though I clearly see my hard drive under hard disks in BIOS. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

I have had my problem resolved tweaking the Windows XP install in nLite. To anyone who might be searching for this topic with the same problem follow through to http://forums.techgu...ives-being.html where I received help.

Edited by dariusb, 14 February 2010 - 06:07 PM.