Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Win7 32-Bit vs Win7 64-Bit

• Please log in to reply

beardedsk8er

beardedsk8er

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I was trying to sort out 32-Bit and 64-Bit on a specific DELL machine I want to purchase, the Vostro 430 Mini Tower?

I see some advertised builds as 32bit and some as 64bit and when you build a machine on-line it sometimes lets you pick 64bit and sometimes its not an option. The overall tech specs give you both though.

Is it the exact same machine besides the OS install? And I can install 64bit and then put up to 8GB of RAM in it and have the RAM recognized?

When I contacted Dell customer service (phone call) and chatted them (on-line chat) on a separate occasion, I was told both times, I had to buy a machine that was specifically 64bit and could not just install the 64-Bit OS. First, I was actually told that the Vostro 430 Mini Tower could not have 64-Bit installed on it. Then when I sent a direct link to the advertised machine on the DELL site they said it was "different" in some way. I got the idea they were confused on the matter so didn't continue the chat. But initially thought it couldn't be done.

I then tried to find my answer by clicking around the DELL site and got confused as I was looking at the Dell refurbished Vostros and they advertise that they come with both a 32bit DVD and 64bit OS CD.

Then I went on-line to research the subject on various forums and such and it sounded like the machine was probably exactly the same and it was just the OS DVD I used and the the machine was exactly the same.

What I'm trying to do is build a DELL machine, like a Vostro 430 i5 or i7 with 64-Bit and at least 8GB or RAM and looking at a cost effective way of doing so. Thanks.

Advertisements

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
Two things:

1. Most of today's hardware supports 64bit OS's. If it doesn't, its older or a very cheap product, so I wouldn't buy it anyway.
2. A 32bit OS will only recognize about 3.5gb of RAM, so if you ever want your system to recognize more than that, IT MUST have a 64bit OS.

As technology increases and as more and more programs are adapting to 64bit technology, this is the better way to go. The problems with 64bit OS's in the past, don't really exist anymore.

money_killer

money_killer

• Pip
  • 1 posts
i was dual booting 32bit and 64bit end up going with just 32bit. few basic programs and stuff i couldnt use on 64bit so that was enough for me. i only use the web/emails/office/burning etc so really didnt need over 3.5gig of ram.

beardedsk8er

beardedsk8er

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Two things:

1. Most of today's hardware supports 64bit OS's. If it doesn't, its older or a very cheap product, so I wouldn't buy it anyway.
2. A 32bit OS will only recognize about 3.5gb of RAM, so if you ever want your system to recognize more than that, IT MUST have a 64bit OS.

As technology increases and as more and more programs are adapting to 64bit technology, this is the better way to go. The problems with 64bit OS's in the past, don't really exist anymore.

Yeah, I'm talking about a brand new DELL w an i5 or i7, so I would think it would support 64bit. The only thing was I thought maybe there was some BIOS setting or something DELL could do to a machine to prevent either 64bit OS or more than 4GB of RAM from showing up on a machine. Based on what customer service was trying to explain to me, though it sounds strange. I do know DELL machines are set in the BIOS to prevent overclocking their processors.

It seems I need someone familiar w/ that specific machine to know for sure.

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts

I thought maybe there was some BIOS setting or something DELL could do to a machine to prevent either 64bit OS or more than 4GB of RAM from showing up on a machine

I don't know if there would be a BIOS setting or not, but the i5/i7 cpu/mobo will definitely support a 64bit OS. When you say this...

Is it the exact same machine besides the OS install?

The answer would be yes, it's the same machine, just a 32bit OS installed.

beardedsk8er

beardedsk8er

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Alright, thanks.

It's funny that DELL charges more for the 64bit OS when it seems like it really doesn't cost them any more.