Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

No internet Connection. Physical Address: 00-00-00-00-00-00

• Please log in to reply

lordsatan

lordsatan

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I have 2 computers running XP PRO SP2 hooked via ethernet cable to a LinkSys router.

One computer has a perfect internet connection.
Under "Local Area Connection Status" > "Network Connection Details" it has:

Physical Address: 00-04-E2-05-71-D2
IP Address: 10.99.4.35
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway: 10.99.4.1
DHCP Server: 10.99.4.1
Lease Obtained: 2/8/2010 4:46:15 AM
Lease Expires: 1/18/2038 10:14:07 PM
DNS Server: 10.99.4.1
WINS Server:

The other computer has a fresh install of XP Pro SP2. It has an MSI motherboard with all
drivers freshly installed from the MSI site. About 40 hrs of troubleshooting and I still
cannot connect to the internet with this computer going through the router or without.
Under "Local Area Connection Status" > "Network Connection Details" it has:

Physical Address: 00-00-00-00-00-00
IP Address: 10.99.4.2
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway: 10.99.4.1
DHCP Server: 10.99.4.1
Lease Obtained: 2/9/2010 2:03:37 AM
Lease Expires: 2/10/2010 2:03:37 AM
DNS Server: 10.99.4.1
WINS Server:

I know the modem and router are fine because one computer is connected. I know the ethernet
cable is good because I used the same cable on both and the one still works. I also tried
connecting with the USB output on the modem and also failed. I wanted to elimate the OS as a factor
so I used Knoppix, MEPIS & Sysyem Rescue CDs...all failed.

I think I'm closer with the router since without it I cannot even get an IP address. I get 0.0.0.0
I checked "Local Area Connection Properties" many times and I believe they are correct. Both
"Obtain IP" and "Obtain DNS" are both set to automatic. "DHCP" is enabled.

I am a novice with routers/mac addresses but it looks like that the MAC configuration may be the problem?
The Physical Address of the computer is 00-00-00-00-00-00. The IP is 10.99.4.2

The router config has the MAC as "00:13:d3:5e:c8:6f" and an IP of 10.99.4.22
The start IP is 10.99.4.2

Please give me some suggestions. Any help would be great. Please ask if you need more info. I'm a novice so I'm sure I missed something.

thanx much

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
this is an odd one....your NIC is in fact getting an IP from the router (as shown by your ipconfig results)...but the physical address (MAC address) shouldn't be all 0s

do you have MAC address filtering configured on the router?

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
1: Was this computer connecting well before formatting? We need to know this to make sure that there is no hardware problem on the computer side.

2: Ping 127.0.0.1. This will also help to make sure that there is no hardware problem within the computer.

3: Reset the router to factory setting. Read in the manual how to do this.

4: If the computer is still not connecting then "Set up a Home or Small Office Network", disable DHCP in the router and give each computer a fixed IP.(Control Panel > Network connection > local area connection > properties > Click Internet Protocol TCP/IP > click properties > Click Using the following IP address. Set the parameters, giving each computer it's own address. Please make sure that each computer has a different Computer Name but all are having the same Workgroup name.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
In many cases a network adaptor with a Physical Address of all zeros can be fixed by resetting the CMOS.
The easiest way to do this is unplug the computer from the power, take the side off, find the little watch-type battery and take it out. Leave it about ten minutes or so. Pop it back in and fire the system up. You'll hopefully get complained at that the computer hasn't got a date and time set, but this is normal. On some boards you may have to set the time in the BIOS before the system will boot.

End result: The network adaptor should have a "real" physical address now.

lordsatan

lordsatan

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

In many cases a network adaptor with a Physical Address of all zeros can be fixed by resetting the CMOS.
The easiest way to do this is unplug the computer from the power, take the side off, find the little watch-type battery and take it out. Leave it about ten minutes or so. Pop it back in and fire the system up. You'll hopefully get complained at that the computer hasn't got a date and time set, but this is normal. On some boards you may have to set the time in the BIOS before the system will boot.

End result: The network adaptor should have a "real" physical address now.

Sounded like a great idea...Sadly, that didn't work with no change at all. I actually followed the exact directions:
http://www.youtube.c...layer_embedded#

thanx much for the suggestion

lordsatan

lordsatan

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

this is an odd one....your NIC is in fact getting an IP from the router (as shown by your ipconfig results)...but the physical address (MAC address) shouldn't be all 0s

do you have MAC address filtering configured on the router?

I'm a novice with the router settings, but just checked and MAC filtering is disabled. It was under the Wireless section.

I'm using a Lynksys with DD-wrt [http://www.dd-wrt.co....php/Main_Page]

thanx much

Edited by lordsatan, 10 February 2010 - 01:29 AM.

lordsatan

lordsatan

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

1: Was this computer connecting well before formatting? We need to know this to make sure that there is no hardware problem on the computer side.

2: Ping 127.0.0.1. This will also help to make sure that there is no hardware problem within the computer.

3: Reset the router to factory setting. Read in the manual how to do this.

4: If the computer is still not connecting then "Set up a Home or Small Office Network", disable DHCP in the router and give each computer a fixed IP.(Control Panel > Network connection > local area connection > properties > Click Internet Protocol TCP/IP > click properties > Click Using the following IP address. Set the parameters, giving each computer it's own address. Please make sure that each computer has a different Computer Name but all are having the same Workgroup name.

1: yes, perfectly for years before the re-installation
2: no problem. packets sent 4, 0% loss
3: don't know if I want to do this yet, especially since I know the router is set
up properly. remember, I have a perfect internet-connected computer hanging off the same router
4: i will consider that. since i'm a novice I want to be certain I can get the setting back to where I am now. I need 1 computer on the internet or I'm totally doomed

thanx much for the suggestions

lordsatan

lordsatan

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Someone on majorgeeks suggested spoofing the mac address

I ran Macshift
http://devices.natetrue.com/macshift/

...and changed the MAC Address to a random 12 digit string. Instant internet connection!

my initial thought was that I should change it to the
MAC that I had set in the router under Static Leases >MAC Address, but I just wanted to see if Macshift worked and I chose a random string

so, once again, an insanely simple 1 minute solution that took 50 hrs to find.

thanx to all for suggestions

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Thanks for letting us know.