Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP logs in then immediately logs off

• Please log in to reply

NuttySquirrel

NuttySquirrel

• PipPip
  • 44 posts
Hey all,

I just got a laptop someone asked me to take a look at that will not log in. It presents me with the Welcome screen on startup, and when I click the user's name, I see the background for a few seconds, and then I'm logged back out.

I've attempted to log into Safe Mode and log in as both Administrator and as the user, but the same thing is happening.

I had this symptom on another computer last year, and made a post of my findings, where I copied the userinit.exe off the XP CD, but that solution is not working in this case.

The last step I've attempted is to run the "copy userinit.exe wsaupdater.exe" command, but this isn't working either.

I'd also like to note that even though I do know it is running XP Professional, I don't know what service pack level it's at. I have an XP SP3 CD that I'm using to troubleshoot the problem, I'm not sure if it matters.

Any pointers from you fine folks would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

Edited by NuttySquirrel, 09 February 2010 - 09:12 AM.

Advertisements

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
The most comprehensive solution for this problem is here. The instructions are very clear.

If it worked you (or if it didn't) please let us know.

mr.l

mr.l

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Does this solution restore the data files?

Edited by mr.l, 09 February 2010 - 12:02 PM.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
It does not affect data files. However, to be on the safe side, backup the data. If you need help, please let us know.

mr.l

mr.l

• Pip
  • 4 posts

It does not affect data files. However, to be on the safe side, backup the data. If you need help, please let us know.

Yes, please I could use the help. I burned puppy 2.16 to a disk from your signature. But when I put it in this computer and booted from I recieved an error message.

Error, cannot find puppy on 'usbcd media,
pupmode=1 pdev1=

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Please follow these instructions:

ownload Puppy Linux from my list of links below. Download "puppy 2.16.1 seamonkey fulldrivers.ISO". Burn the ISO file to create a bootable CD. For this purpose you can download BurnCDCC from the links below. It's a very simple tool, used exclusively to burn ISO files.

Insert the disk into the CD/DVD drive and boot the computer. Use the default setting except for choosing screen resolution of 600x800 when given the option to do so. After the program is loaded click the icon that looks like flash disk. This will open the file system and will enable browsing your folders. Find the folders that you want to backup, copy and paste them to another storage device.

If the computer doesn't boot, please set boot order in the BIOS so that the CD drive is first priority boot device.

mr.l

mr.l

• Pip
  • 4 posts
The burned Puppy Linux disk worked on my crashed computer at home. I saw the memory stick icon and was able to view folders. Nevertheless, I had a problem figuring out how to copy and paste them a cd. I could not find how to copy and paste.

I follow the procedure for fixing the automatic logging off and it worked great.

However, I only printed the instructions up to Part 7. And when it said “So, NOW are you able to log in?” I did. That was my mistake.

The computer was running very slow. A Cyber Security site was popping up wanting to download saying for $49.95 it would fix things. It was showing that I had a lot files that were infected. And saw something about a “worm.win32.NetSky” and that my system was at high risk.

I know realize going back to the link that I needed to start my computer in safe mode and “Clean-It”. I have downloaded the recommended programs to disks at work. After I have followed “all of the instructions” I will let you know how it works.

Thanks for all your help.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
1: You cannot backup to a CD. You have to move the files to another storage device, like an external disk.

2: Your computer is badly infected by malware. If your computer is bootable and working, even if it is slow, use the link in my signature to the malware forum, take all the preliminary steps and post there for further cleanup.

mr.l

mr.l

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Ok thanks again.

Ridman

Ridman

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I just wanted to say thax. I was having the same problem and your saveme fix worked great! Also thax for all the good software to keep in my dr kit.....

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Thanks for letting us know.

Ridman

Ridman

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I think I spoke to soon. after running all the software in safe mode, clean result from mbam,spybot keep showing supv.smss32. It would say it was fixed but would show up on scan again. I decided to try to boot in normal mode and everything looked like it was going to work, then I got the window that wanted me to choose a program to start cmd.exe. So I am running regcur? Any advise?

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
The whole purpose of the procedure is to let you have a bootable computer after which a thorough malware removal must be performed. If your computer is bootable and you have internet connectivity, even if you can only boot to Safe Mode with Networking, move to the malware forum (a link in my list below), follow the instructions and let their experts help you clean the computer.

If, after that, you need help from this forum, please start a new topic of your own.

Ridman

Ridman

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I have it straightened out. Thanks again your fix was great and very easy to follow.