Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

batteries

• Please log in to reply

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Go to Start then to Run
Type in compmgmt.msc and click Enter
On left side click on Disk Management
On right side you will see you hard drive.
Now I need you to take a screenshot and attach it to your next reply. Do the following to take a screenshot while the above is open and showing on your desktop.

To do a screenshot please have click on your Print Screen on your keyboard. It is normally the key above your number pad between the F12 key and the Scroll Lock key
Now go to Start and then to All Programs
Scroll to Accessories and then click on Paint
In the Empty White Area click and hold the CTRL key and then click the V
Go to the File option at the top and click on Save as
Save as file type JPEG and save it to your Desktop

Attach it to your next reply

Advertisements

40vern

40vern

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 436 posts
ok lets see what happens

Edited by 40vern, 21 February 2010 - 07:50 AM.

40vern

40vern

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 436 posts
let me know if you have trouble reading this. i will try agian. thanks

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
It came through perfectly. I am amazed at how large that recovery partition really is. Normally it is less then 4 gigs in size but yours is showing almost 15 gigs in size.
Is this the same system with the outlook issue also?
Is this the way the system came new or have you done a format and install?

Edited by rshaffer61, 21 February 2010 - 08:12 AM.

40vern

40vern

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 436 posts
this is the way it came and it is the one that i installed the live mail. the computer did not come with disk all the programs are on it already. most of the stuff i will never use however i am scared to just start deleting stuff.
like adobe and stuff like this. if you want to look at me control pannel like i did the other picture i can try and if you want you can tell me what to delete. just if you want to. best buy wants 30 dollars to get rid of stuff like this but i am waiting on my compaq.
i dropped off the compaq last night. the guy is going to try and bring it up so i can get my little girls photos off then i think i am going to buy a new hard drive for it. i can putone in. i have already taken it apart before.
i would not mind having an extra computor around

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
It's hard to determine what you need and don't need. Adobe covers a lot of programs, flash and the reader are just two which are essential to view some documents and to use some websites.
as far as your compaq would it not boot?
If it posted but would not boot into windows then you could use a linux Live cd to access the hard drive and copy all the photos you mentioned.
If you want to get a list of programs you question if they are needed or not I will be happy to try and sort through them and let you know what you need and don't need.

40vern

40vern

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 436 posts
thanks rshaffer61 i would like to give you a list and let you sort through them. if you will tell me how to do this i will gladly let you. this way i can get rid of allotof stull that takes up space.

did you have any ideas on how to burn the recovery cd after i sent you the picture that you ask for? this program opens up everytime i boot my computer.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

did you have any ideas on how to burn the recovery cd after i sent you the picture that you ask for? this program opens up everytime i boot my computer.

Nope i don't know whats going on here.

40vern

40vern

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 436 posts
photo of programs

40vern

40vern

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 436 posts
second photo

Advertisements

40vern

40vern

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 436 posts
recovery error message. you have tought me something today thats for sure

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK honestly the only thing i see you can safely remove if you are not using it is everything listed below:
Microsoft Silverlight
Microsoft Office PowerPoint Viewer 2007 (English)
Microsoft Office Live Add in 1.3
Microsoft Office Home and Student 2007
Compatability Pack for the 2007 Office System

Now if any of this you want then don't uninstall it because you will get everything back then if you reinstall it.

Personally I would suggest getting rid of Norton 360 and using a free Antivirus program like [b]Avast

Norton is known to be a resource hog and will slow your system down.

40vern

40vern

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 436 posts
ok i will take a look at them. the norton i have about 11 months and i will so what you said. i p aid for 2 years when i signed up this last time.

did you get the photo that i get when i try to burn the disk for the system recovery?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
If you have paid for it then you might as well use it. No use in wasting the money.
No is that the one about it needs a blank disk?

40vern

40vern

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 436 posts
yea i agree with you on the norton. it want belong before it will be over. i saved the name soi can use it.

yes this is he picture of the one that ask me for a blank disk. do you think that i need to make arecovery disk? if you dont think that i need to make one i want. let me know what you think thanks